Gartner

There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

Best IT management consultancy

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best IP, most interesting projects, small organization, lots of freedom and responsibility

Cons

Bewildering adminstrative tasks, lots of rules to understand, small organization

Don't change it too much

564 Other Employee Reviews for Gartner (View Most Recent)

A culture of ambition, achievement and learning

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is founded on principles of truth, independence, research and intelligence.
    The service we deliver to our clients is genuinely fascinating - I have high-level commercial, technical and personal conversations with very high level decision makers. We regularly discuss a broad range of topics. Every day is a genuine education.
    The earning potential is relatively high and I have a high degree of control over my own territory.
    Gartner's strong brand recognition helps get the meeting and close the deal with the decision maker - and this is becoming more and more the case as the company grows.
    The company's growth also means there is abundant opportunity for sales, promotions, new positions being created etc. People are regularly promoted.

Cons

The culture is overly Americanised, with regular "motivating" meetings full of verbal high fives. This comes across as fake and out of touch - particularly to non-American employees.
    The high level of autonomy comes with a catch - every sales person is a de facto franchise, forced to make internal business cases to senior management to make things happen. This limits my ability to do things for my clients and prospects. Often this is too inflexible, so senior management forbid actions which might make a sale or improve the customer experience.
    Very political culture - management promote their friends and set out to make life difficult for those they don't like. No-one is ever recruited externally into sales management positions.
    A high degree of change leads to instability. The very high turnover of sales execs, short tenure of those in management positions and regular promotions cause disruption.
    The fact the company is growing means there is a degree of immaturity from the growing pains - over-complicated processes, too much focus on metrics, disparate systems, too many people involved in what should be a simple decision (endless email forwarding / cc'ing)

Treat your workers as colleagues on the same team, not school kids.
    Treat your clients as valued partners who you want to help.
    Be honest with your workers - tell the truth even when it's difficult to hear.
    Go easy on the metrics - judging people by 8 or 9 criteria just confuses them.

great job and lots of support

Current Employee - Research Director
    Current Employee - Research Director

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management give analysts lots of freedom, backup and support. Self-starters and entrepreneur types will do will in this environment. Company has really good benefits

Cons

Working independently (at home) means its tougher to know whats really going on internally. Not enough coordination across analysts groups, some analysts are heavily favored and always get the best assignments so politics plays an important role

There are newer employer reviews for Gartner