There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Maitland, FL
Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Maitland, FL

I worked at Gartner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome management. Great people. I really liked my manager there and the developers are all top-notch.

Cons

Work was a little boring. Not my cup of tea, but a great job for most people I would imagine. Compensation was low, but I think that spoke more to the contract company I used vs. their typical salaries.

reviews filtered by

Great brand, but the company is being hollowed out

Current Employee - Research Director
    Current Employee - Research Director

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work; good access to technology companies at almost any level.

Respected brand and reputation.

Remote office culture provides flexibility on where to live, eliminates commuting

Salary for analysts is good, although large component is annual bonus

Benefits are good – very good

Demand for analyst skills is increasing: good analysts are very highly sought after and difficult to find – often many unfilled reqs on the web site for research analysts

Cons

Senior management overly focused on goosing the stock price and maxing out their options; their short-term, accountant-led philosophy is taking the easy way to revenue growth by driving more salespeople into the market. In the process they are hollowing out the brand proposition of the company which is the quality of research. This will last 2-3 more years before the wheels fall off the bus and clients begin to push back.

Incredible amount of bureaucracy for a company this size; poorly thought out and poorly implemented processes. Almost impossible to get anything done quickly and efficiently.

Analysts work in an almost call-center like capacity: demands from client inquiries, consulting days, Gartner events, and sales overhead (see below) impacts quality and depth of research.

Churn and burn sales culture (30%+ turnover annually) results in poor client experience; analysts constantly working with new salespeople that don’t really know the job. Sales reps focused on transactions rather than building a client relationship, results in mis-match between expectations and ability of the company to deliver, esp. with SMB clients.

Work load: Constant and increasing demands for travel, client inquiries, publishing, primary research. Travel is ~ 30% overall but lumpy so approaches 75% in some quarters.

No career development; no personal or professional recognition internally to Gartner (although clients and vendors have a high regard for analysts in general – more recognition externally than internally); minimal increases in base salary, title changes, promotions, etc.

Get loss focused on maxing out your stock options, focus instead on the client experience and the (diminishing) quality of product you are putting out.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company benefits are very good. The subject matter experts are very dedicated and good at jobs.
    Virtual office support is good.

Cons

Great place to be in sales if you're under 30 years old, are a blonde female, and cute.

Appreciate experience.