There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

Amazing, with great leadership and future prospects

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for some of the other global consulting firms, and I can confidently say that by far, this is the best. Gartner is changing things around when it comes to leadership. I have heard many comments saying that this is a rookie and immature consulting firm, which are comments that are unprecedented by facts. Gartner is a smaller firm and relatively newer, I agree. But, the proportion of smart people at this firm is far more than any other firm I have been at. There is a growing awareness of taking this firm to the next level, and I wholeheartedly think that we have the right people in place to take us there. Try Gartner for consulting and then try another 'run of the mill' consulting firm, and you will know the difference when you interact with our consultants.

Great hours, and flexibility. This job teaches you that you better have other things outside of work that define you. If you don't and work is your life, you need to switch firms and go somewhere else that will work you to the bone!

Bonus and salary are also satisfactory.

Cons

Too easy on people. We need to be more aggressive and competitive when it comes to finding new business, and keeping the right people in the firm.

Continue making the changes that you are making. I think our consulting practice has great potential, with the right people in leadership positions. Performance over tenure should be recognized. With those right facets in mind, I think Gartner consulting will go places!

484 Other Employee Reviews for Gartner (View Most Recent)

Mixed

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teleworking opportunities, very smart hardworking people, growing company

Cons

Instead of tapping in to the pool of recent grads in the US there is more and more pressure to hire less expensive (albeit talented) people from India.

Work on creating a culture that allows feedback at and from all levels. 360's are discussed but not fully implemented leaving upper management ignorant of what the masses really think.

Consulting - immature...you've been warned

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses are great! Considering how hard you work, it is very much deserved.

Benefits are good too.

Cons

Achieving your utilization target each year is difficult when the Managing Partners are not bringing in the work. You are on your own to find billable work - no one is looking out for you which is how they want it. It is a sink or swim mentality which works for some but not all.

Gartner Consulting's business model is not conducive for long term career growth. The associate gets blamed for not making utilization targets even though it is not their responsibility to bring in the work. It is the MPs responsibility to develop business, win work, and then bring on the associate to execute. Although this is preached over and over, in the end, it is still the associate's fault for not achieving utilization which is then reflected in your performance evaluation.

There is NO training or professional development opportunities. You make your own. It is claimed that since you have access to Gartner Research that you can use that as your professional development. That is not a formal professional development program.

Many times you are thrown on engagements simply because you are available. Rarely, do they match you with a project based upon your expertise. When you are trying to further excel in your career and get more exposure to projects that are more applicable to your background you run up against a brick wall. Everything within Gartner Consulting is based upon relationships so if you are not an outgoing person or an extrovert, you are going to have a hard time making this happen.

Consulting is the ugly stepchild within Gartner. It is merely another means for a client to gain use of the Research. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but does limit repeat work with a client.

Turnover within consulting is between 40-50%. They are not interested in long term career minded professionals - they are interested in low-cost, short-term, burn out. Keep that in mind before joining.

Gartner as a company does not practice what it preaches. Gartner Research may espouse one thing but Gartner proper does not even adhere to what it produces. Very disappointing.

Many say that it is great to have Gartner on your resume - maybe so but I certainly didn't experience that. Gartner opened no doors during my job search. Maybe if I had been in Research that would have been different.

Gartner Consulting tries to ride on the coattails of the Gartner brand formulated from the Research component. Consulting has a lot to learn and change before it can truly live up to the brand recognition established by Research.

Create a true team environment. Kill the cliques as they really preclude you from developing great teams. Get to know your staff - each and everyone of them. MAKE the time to learn more about them and help them grow. Provide an orientation on how Gartner Consulting operates and share 'rules of the road' from the beginning instead of forcing new employees to just figure it out. Again, I realize that may be your preferred methodology in order to weed out those who truly fit your mold but in the end, it leaves a bad taste in employees mouths and erodes Gartner's brand and reputation. Word on the street quickly spreads that it isn't a good place to work.

Adopt the attitude that your people are your most important asset because when you take care of your people, they in turn take care of you which means, they take care of the business. And when that happens, the business succeeds and more revenue and profit is generated. Then EVERYONE wins!

There are newer employer reviews for Gartner