Gartner

www.gartner.com
  www.gartner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

Cool place, not like it used to be

Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT
Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Pays well, smart people, cool job, good location, good benefits, takes some time to adjust to the insular culture, but otherwise pretty fun

Cons

Can be very political at times, seem to be living in the past. A lot of the old analysts have huge egos and can be real jurks to new people

Best of luck trying to turn this boat. This place peaked in 1996, and has been sinking ever since. All the good people have left.

521 Other Employee Reviews for Gartner (View Most Recent)

Good compensation and people, but you're on your own when it comes to career progression within the company.

Current Employee - Client Relationship Organization in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Organization in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Good pay and benefits (I have yet to come across a better paid time off policy). Gartner is the unrivaled leader in the field, so you feel a sense of pride in the company you work for. You are able to witness Gartner insight solving client problems, saving clients millions via contract reviews, etc. so your feel a sense of purpose in your job. The level of intellect you are surrounded by is impressive (particularly in any role that involves interaction with the analysts), and most of the employees are good, kind people.

Cons

Talent management and career pathing at Gartner is virtually nonexistent. Moving within the company is not discouraged and happens pretty regularly, but good luck getting any help figuring out where you can move or what you need to do to get there. You're on your own. You really need to take initiative and make sure you don't get complacent in your current position. No one has a problem with you staying in the same position for 15 years without making any forward progress, and there are quite a few people in every department that have done exactly that.

Client Services is oftentimes treated as "second class" by other Gartner business units. Some of the analysts look down on us as well-paid secretaries, our primary purpose to them is to fix any of their scheduling mishaps. Sales is probably the worse offender, however, often treating us like idiots or taking out their frustration on us because we stand in between them and the analysts. It's a good thing we do serve as this 'gateway' to the analysts because many sales reps have a limited understanding of the technology involved in their client's/prospect's issues. Without being able to leverage us as knowledge specialists, they would be left to struggle on their own and lose face with clients.

The metrics used within the department to track employee productivity are rudimentary and put more emphasis on quantity over quality. The focus should be based on interaction quality and content knowledge rather than quantity/volume metrics that are used in call centers.

Manage your talent, or it will leave. We're not looking for career path hand-holding, but figure out a way to match associates' talents with the needs of the company, especially those who come in at the entry and mid-level. The 'free-for-all' approach in place now leaves associates that are looking for career advancement within the company frustrated and disparaged. Most associates love Gartner as a company, but will reach a point where they have no choice but to look at other companies to make forward progress in their careers.

Work/Life at Gartner.

Current Employee - Siebel Developer in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Siebel Developer in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Brand , Work from Home - Manager discression , about 25 Paid time offs per year and increases every year ,travel policies. technology focussed.

Cons

no growth - salary wise and level wise ,some people dont give respect in what your doing , no boddy listens to you that much. your views are not counted. differentiation between BA/PM / DEV
     no business contact at all.

Please see individually in our IT group what is happening internally , employees have lost morale in many cases , no motivation etc , nothings being done to keep employee s happy , things are not being done right , and remove all those people who have become inefficient while staying here for more than 15 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Gartner