There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

Great place to work, but acts like the a start-up at the end of a quarter.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gartner

Pros

I've met some of the most brilliant and socially savvy individuals while i was at Gartner, and will likely retain some of these friendships for life; ergo, Gartner's ability to recruit top-notch talent is impressive. Our strong brand was always on our side and it truly helped us sell - even though management will claim it is about process and the value selling methodology. We had the benefit that people knew who we were when we placed that initial call to our prospective clients. Gartner was good about recognizing performance, which work as a great motivator.

Cons

Ocassionally an underqualified individual would filter upward through the ranks, either by chance or because, a friend of a friend knows an executive or because their were related (as in family) to individuals in executive positions. End of quarter is chaos especially for sales - not fun. It seemed disorganized and amateur-ish in term of how the teams were managed. I was not fond AT ALL about the named-to-share account management approach which was one of many initiatives/processes for which there was minimal due dilligence when selected as a sales model. Essentially it allowed for local management of accounts even though they were headquartered in another city. Some client organizations had locations in 52 cities across the US - which meant that 52 individual reps would have to manage that account. That is a disaster especially when the client is headquartered in your territory and wants only to deal with you and no one else in your company.

Advice to Management

Consistency in talent selection especially leadership and the right people for roles. Thinking things thoroughly through before signing a process or approach into "law". Pricing - they've made some fatal mistakes that could have cost the company significant revenue.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great brand, good company

Former Employee - Group Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Group Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Gartner is, by and large, a very well run company with a strong management team led ably by Gene Hall. Minimal dysfunction, smart acquisitions, and deep integrity in the Research house. It's a strong, stable company with proportionally more smart people than dead wood.

Cons

I think Gartner needs to be able to evolve and transform more quickly to meet the changing needs of the IT market and the business-side consumer/decision-maker.

Advice to Management

See above. Also, get more women on the Operating Committee!

Human Capitall Mangement: Exposed

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Access to technology analysts with either no actual business experence or highly conceptualized tech-speak. Learn to write,behave and speak as a Gartner expert. Learn the power of Magic and realize that clients never lose their job picking Gartner.

Cons

False projections of professionalism. Behavior is coated with pounds of IQ residue. Customer retention is managed by FUD, A basic sweat shop.. Vulture capitalists own the place therefore profit , and margin growth is superior to human growth. They coined the term "human capital".

Advice to Management

Great rid of Silver Lake and increase EPS via real cstomer satisfaction.