Gartner

www.gartner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

Gartner a good place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Trumbull, CT
Current Employee - Manager in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

There are definite opportunities for growth and career development. The benefits are great, particularly the amount of time off (7 weeks paid-time-off after 5 years). it's a job that definitely allows for a good work/life balance, while still providing opportunities to make a good living.

Cons

The work can get mundane and tedious at times, and it isn;t very fulfilling. while starting salaries are decent and promotion raises are very fair, yearly increases and bonuses are dismal. employee morale is lacking in certain departments. communication from upper management is sometimes lacking. team work among various departments is also lacking at times -- sort of every department for itself.

Upper management not always receptive to new ideas. More recognition and feedback would be nice.

545 Other Employee Reviews for Gartner (View Most Recent)

Pay for performance; no forgiveness

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Florida location; not much more locally. Best pay in the area.

Cons

Bottom 10% get cut, even those who have delivered outstanding performance for years. No recognition of prior performance during evaluations; hey, people can have a tough year.

Weigh contributions of employees over a few year period against current performance. Also, it is critical to understand you are hiring from a broad spectrum of people, some with experience and some fresh out of college. Draw a balance in the way you treat them. For many experienced people, business 101 is not only not needed, but not welcomed. Don't set standards based on the most immature employee; instead provide flexible guidelines.

Come to Gartner if you like steelworkers and small-town mayors

Current Employee - Consulting Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consulting Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Gartner is well-regarded in the IT industry primarily for its research and benchmarks. Almost every CIO has heard of Gartner and a majority of them have used its products, including consulting which is its relatively lesser known line of business. Like many organizations Gartner has really experienced and knowledgeable people. Gartner's value proposition includes "we have people with gray hair and scars who are just like you". In other words, most of Gartner's key employees have had leadership positions in IT. So years of experience in the IT industry is the most touted credential.

Cons

Years of experience in the IT industry is the most touted credential. So if you are a really smart young professional with karate chops and innovative ideas, you'll find a hard time getting respect even if you have hard analytical skills and a business school or engineering school pedigree. On the other hand, if you have those sort of credentials you are unlikely to end up at Gartner. Remember, IT leaders have this "blue-collar" mentality and a dislike for smart innovative types.

Please give us a clear cut business model and strategy that everybody in the company can relate to. Every now and then we see our CEO on video-conference asking us to be client-centric and innovative and operationally effective, but that doesn't translate into anything useful or specific in terms of policies, processes, and systems. Stop treating the consulting business as a step-child and please remember to at least make a passing reference to it in your town hall meetings. I mean, what is your message to us consultants? Please weed out some really pathetic senior management at the MVP level whose leadership is absolutely uninspiring. We're managing a knowledge-intensive business with the operating model of a car dealership ... push whatever we can and do it efficiently. And on the Research side... wake up!! The world around us is changing. It will be not long before our customers realize the amount of knowledge and insight available for free or a smaller subscription in the McKinsey Quarterly. Some of our Research is eye-popping in its simplistic assumptions and over-reaching assertions.

There are newer employer reviews for Gartner