Part Time Instructor in General Education

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dallas, NC
Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dallas, NC

I have been working at Gaston College

Pros

It's a collaborative environment. Everyone seems focused on educating our students, rather than packing them in like sardines. Although I am part time, I feel valued for my contribution. The students are, for the most part, respectful and attentive. I've been very happy at Gaston.

Cons

The administrative work required of classroom teachers is a lot, but I think it has more to do with accredidation than anything. The pay is not good. It's hard to put in as much work as is required and get so little in return.

Advice to Management

For the most part, continue doing what you are doing. Keep the focus on educating students at all levels, and providing access to services to all students. Consider keeping some support areas open after 5pm and on weekends, so students who work full time can access them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pleasant work experience

Current Employee - Instructor in Dallas, NC
    Current Employee - Instructor in Dallas, NC

I have been working at Gaston College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9-month work schedule, 30 hours/week, friendly staff, colleagues willing to help, benefits are excellent

Cons

like all state institutions there are a lot of initiatives - just wait them out and they'll pass only to make room for a new initiative!

Advice to Management

stay focused on educating students and worry less about state funding

2. I have enjoyed working as Human Resources Development Instructor at Gaston College these last 7 years.

I have been working at Gaston College

Pros

Excellent supervisor, autonomy in teaching strategies, enjoy helping special populations (incarcerated), immense personal satisfaction.

Cons

Distance and time commuting, recent cut in hours has made it necessary to pursue better, full-time options. No increase in pay since starting 7 years ago. Politics related to prison facility where I work.

Advice to Management

Consider creating a full-time re-entry educator position, where someone like me could make an even greater difference without the huge personal sacrifices.