There are newer employer reviews for Gatan

A great place to let your career stagnate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Gatan

Pros

Some very talented engineers work at Gatan, parts of the products were cutting edge at one time, unfortunately the company is running on intellectual fumes at this time.

Cons

Management is tone deaf, conceited and self-serving.
Senior technical staff with tenure waste money on pie-in-the-sky research with no repurcusions.
HR is AWOL

Stop the boondoggle trips and do your jobs. Try promoting some of your people instead of focusing on your own promotion!

8 Other Employee Reviews for Gatan (View Most Recent)

Unsatisfactory

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Gatan

Pros

Rank and file engineers are good coworkers, some of them a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Gatan management was not up to the task.

Think less about personal advancment/perks/bonuses, more about the common good, decent work environment, playing by rules, rank and file employees.

Frustrating.. I feel sorry for the technically capable.

Current Employee - Technical
    Current Employee - Technical

I have been working at Gatan full-time

Pros

I've had the opportunity to travel, and met some really capable employees.
    Many products concepts are world-class, though the company needs to work harder to turn concepts into products that customers will be queueing up for.

Cons

I've visited Gatan sites around the globe, and I've met and talked to Gatan customers.
    My own experience is not unique.
    Here is a short list of woes

Gatan and its best employees are hamstrung by the pass-the-buck / take-the-credit / lurch to the next crisis culture.

Too many managers want to take the credit for their employees efforts... too often they present it as their own work, even though they may not understand the details. Some employees will do the same to their fellow employees.
    In this company, bull is more important than ability.
    Innovation is not encouraged, which means that mediocrity rules

.There is a lack of management oversight / understanding of technical issues and customer concerns.
    Technical reviews are poor, and when a project fails the blame is put on the employee doing the job, not the managers who should have been overseeing it. Service engineers are sent to face customer flak.

In a good business the best employees should be rewarded by promotion to a position where they can be a positive influence. That doesn't happen.
    . The best and most conscientious employees are overloaded with work, and those who are good in the role will be kept there.... no progression.

Customer service is poor..

If there is a working Quality Assurance process I have yet to see it.

At the technical level, Gatan is so full of unnecessary problems that people often throw their hands in the air and give up, just doing with the flow and hoping for the day they can retire.

Get off your butts. Compare all of your design, production, and customer services processes with the world's best, and you'll find you are behind on all counts.

Get some decent pragmatic and budget-conscious engineers into the management structure.

Do a full review of your employees abilities.. did you know that some managers believe it's wrong to give staff top marks at appraisals? Consequently the difference in capability between the best and the worst doesn't show.

Theoretically, I see many opportunities to make Gatan into a world-beater, but in practice I, and some very capable staff are frustrated because you don't make use of our abilities.

Sad to say, I feel that writing this is a waste of time.
    Put some effort into changing the culture and I'll post a new review to reflect it.

There are newer employer reviews for Gatan

Worked for Gatan? Contribute to the Community!