There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media

Very Proud

Current Employee - Sales
Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at GateHouse Media

Pros

Gatehouse is a forward thinking company. Gatehouse is constantly exploring any opportunity to grow revenue and increase advertiser reach which in turn strengthens the bond between the advertiser and newspaper. The newspapers that are forward thinking are very successful and generally have high morale.

Cons

Old school backward thinking publishers and their staffs. They are at best not open to new ideas and at worst closed minded. If something has any change involved, it is a bad thing. I believe this is not unique to Gatehouse, but it doesn't make their attitudes any less disappointing. Luckily, senior management at Gatehouse understands and rewards those who do the tough things, think and work outside the box.

Keep up the good fight! Understand that sour grapes are not being consumed by all of your employees. Some understand that nothing good ever came without a fight and hard work. You have the support of the employees that are willing to fight along with you. And finally, thank you, I will be making my mortgage payment this month. I understand that my employment is a privilege, not a right.

101 Other Employee Reviews for GateHouse Media (View Most Recent)

Stay far away from this company.

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at GateHouse Media

Pros

It's a job. In the newspaper industry these days, that's saying something.

Cons

1. Very little vacation time. In addition, senior emloyees are being forced to take all the time they've saved over the years. This leaves junior employees swamped with production. In addition, junior employees will lose most of their time off because it doesn't roll over and they don't have seniority in requesting time off.

2. Work never stops. We are expected to be on call all the time for very little pay. We also are not allowed to work overtime, but must complete more work than is possible in a 40-hour week. This means we have to work unpaid hours, and at the same time are told not to lie on our timecards, although it's the only option.

3. Company policies change rapidly and without warning. More vacation time has been lost because employees were not informed it was available.

4. All our technology is outdated. We are forced to use a Gatehouse-approved template for our Web site, which often does not function properly. Our computers are at least 10 years old. We spend a lot of time just waiting for technology to work.

5. Employees are sometimes publicly dressed down. This includes screaming, insults and threats.

If you'd like your stock to stop falling, allow the newspapers you've acquired to conduct themselves based on their own business models -- you know, the ones that have worked for 50 years and are tailored to their niches -- instead of micromanaging everything and firing anyone who protests.

Not a place you want to work

Former Employee - Editor
    Former Employee - Editor

I worked at GateHouse Media

Pros

Senior editors on the news side do their best to help, but the company's overall perspective is jaded and misguided. There's no focus on employee development and very little emphasis is placed on rewarding a job well done.

Cons

Just about any you could name. The pay is horrible, job growth is almost nonexistent, and rewards for going above and beyond the call of duty are unheard of. The hours are brutal, virtually all employees are overworked, and the company hemorrhages quality news and advertising people constantly. GateHouse has one singular focus and that's cutting every cost possible, regardless of its impact on the work force or the product it sells.

Value your employees more. You don't have to pay them more necessarily (although that would be nice), but at least show that you value their hard work. Instead, you appear to be satisfied with being a revolving door for whoever will take a job.

There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media