There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media

I work with one of the papers owned by them.

Current Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive
Current Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good, fairly flexible schedule.

Cons

Management needs better communication skills.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Long hours, terrible pay, horrible communication.

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community-oriented local support staff are wonderful, hardworking people. In some areas, Gatehouse-owned publications are the only legit source of news coverage. It's a job, and I can't deny that journalism positions are scarce these days.

Cons

Extensive personnel cuts; my paper is down to three full time news staff (including the managing editor), one full time sports editor, one part time sports writer and a stringer/columnist. In addition to being required to work 6 to 7 days a week, often nights and weekends too, the staff is required to write, design pages, update the website, update twitter at least twice each every day, post photo and video content, as well as whatever else the morons at corporate or our idiot regional editor decides we have to do. On top of it all, I'm paid less than the average retail or food service employee, and I'm never approved for overtime, even if it means missing important events. I've taken to just logging the overtime, corporate be damned. Corporate promised us that they would move out layout to central copy just after the first of the year. Most recent meetings indicted that our design will go to central copy sometime in 2013. Oh and have I mentioned that I've met my publisher and regional editor a total of twice each?

Advice to Management

Realize that your community newspapers are more than a source of advertising revenue to the people they service. Stop forcing useless advertiser-appeasing fluff pieces on reporters who are looking to do real journalism. Pay us well, seek our input. Maybe then you'll get out of debt and begin to be recognized as a formidable news company with some integrity. Until then, you're nothing but corporate fat cats who want to play "Newsman".

shameful

I have been working at GateHouse Media

Pros

Bright, committed employees, informal environment.

Cons

How's putting in a 15-hour day sound to you, as has happened in Framingham under this new "cost-cutting" ploy? How about seeing top management collecting their bonus while employees go without pay raises for five years? How about a complete lack of respect for journalism? And turning respected community newspapers into shoppers? Gatehouse couldn't have created more ruin if it tried.

Advice to Management

What are you doing?????