GateHouse Media

There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media

Work for Free!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learned alot, met some really nice people

Cons

Playing catch up, sadly, co's in desperation mode

Please listen to your front line

109 Other Employee Reviews for GateHouse Media (View Most Recent)

Inept leadership

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was employed by one of the holdings that Gatehouse acquired a few months before they were booted off of the NYSE. The people that remained throughout the waves and waves of layoffs were good people and had a lot to offer in terms of experience and were great people to work with. Overall, the benefits package remained decent. IRA contributions and annual performance increases were eliminated until July of 2012 (with restrictions on the restatements), otherwise, it was nice to receive benefits in a poor economy. The day to day atmosphere between employees was laid back and relaxed, despite the knowledge that any of us could be laid off at any time for no reason. Management was always friendly.

Cons

As soon as we were bought out, the cuts came. Although we remain one of their most profitable holdings, there were always assessments and reassessments on ways to cut costs to bandage the horrible decisions made by the front office. To acquire my former workplace and others in a desperate bid to claw out of bankruptcy, Gatehouse built up a 1.6 billion dollar debt. Due, I believe, in 2014. Despite the continual red showings in the company's finances, the CEO, the board, and even the regional directors continue to receive healthy bonuses. The biggest con, in my opinion, was the constant fear and dread that my job was not secure, no matter what my tenure or job performance was (obviously it wasn't very secure). In short, by way of personal experience, Gatehouse took a still profitable and locally iconic newspaper and ran it, the employees and readership into the ground and beyond.

Sell off your holdings, dissolve the company, and let people with a better feel for media do business properly.

Sweat shops do exist in the U.S.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Regular paycheck that does not bounce

Cons

Lack of education and experience among upper management, stressful, more responsibility no raise, skeleton crew = sweat shop.

Hire a Regional Ad Director who actually has a college degree. Give your valuable employees raises. There are many folks who haven't had one for more than 5 years while uneducated upper management is raking in the dough. Give a crap about the community. Value your dedicated employees.

There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media