GateHouse Media

gatehousemedia.com

Run from GateHouse as fast as you can.

Editor (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThere just are not many media options out there. They own a lot of papers and if you want to be a journalist, you might have to settle for this company.

ConsBad management! Ever since they went public nothing works smoothly. We cannot get new equipment. We only get 30-something cents per mile reimbursement. Our computers are almost 10 years old and are always breaking down. Some people have gone five years with no raise. They keep cutting staff and increasing the work load. It's ok for the boss to scream, throw things, and break things in my office, so everybody works in more or less constant fear. Some salaried people are expected to work 60 hours per week and yet are paid so poorly that they cannot support themselves. Everybody lives with their parents or has a better-employed spouse. Some people here depend on charity or public aid for some of their needs -- and these are experienced, degreed, award-winning professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay us better money than we would make at a fast food restaurant. Please see that we are treated in a basically civil manner. Please give us equipment that works. Please stop buying new newspapers and take care of the ones you already have. We just want to do our jobs and do good work. Please stop hampering us in our quest.

Hardworking, dedicated professionals but corporate management out of touch

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Work with people who care about their communities, are dedicated… Cons: Poor pay, high health insurance costs, lack of 401K match (while… Advice to Senior Management: Make better business decisions and provide employees with even modest cost… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

I work with one of the papers owned by them.

Multimedia Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The benefits are good, fairly flexible schedule. Cons: Management needs better communication skills. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on GateHouse Media.

Worked for GateHouse Media? Contribute to the Community!