Poor global management makes terrible local inefficiencies

Former Employee - Intern Engineer
Former Employee - Intern Engineer

I worked at Gates Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with (locally), good benefits

Cons

Poor management all around, my supervisor was recently "promoted" prior to I working there which ended up meaning he took on the role of two positions at the salary and potential time of one. This meant I was rarely kept busy when I could have been assisting with other things but he never had the time to assign them to me. Other things I noticed were extreme corner cutting at the expense of worker safety, the plant I worked in had two fires within a single month of I working there, and the management knew it would eventually happen but didn't want to shut down the line to prevent it. This is extreme negligence that not only put their employees at high risk in a plant full of flammable and explosive chemicals, it is pure irony due to the fact that it ended up costing nearly ten times the amount to recoup from the fire than it would have to prevent it. A formerly family owned business bought by international corner cutters who only want to line their pockets= bad business. If I was a betting man I would give them less than a decade of further operations at this current rate of stupidity

Listen to your local management, don't put employees lives at risk to save money

Other Reviews for Gates Corporation

Company continues to change for the worse, executive management only focused on short term gains and selling the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Gates Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits and salary still competitive for the most part. Some jobs are much better than others, just be aware of who you are reporting to and their managment style--some of the people at Gates are really good people.

Cons

Management style is thru intimidation and fear, of course this may vary by location. Lay offs and attrition over the last few years has really hurt the collective knowledge of the company. Management shows a lack of support and concern for the welfare of their employees. Advancement opportunities can be limited based on location and corporate politics.

Show some compassion & respect for your employees. Put your money where your mouth is on growth, you can't close plants, cut inventory, reduce staff, and expect to grow 10%/year.

A solid 100 year old company with fading family values.

Current Employee - Administrator  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Gates Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits (group health insurance, excellent 401(k) contribution plan etc.), vibrant history, great people and a globally diverse workforce.

Cons

Being a large company, it is nearly impossible to be agile. There is resistance to change at all levels of the organization. Disparate systems globally make for an expensive mess of technology. It can be frustrating to move projects forward because of the company structure. Slow to innovate, and very set in their ways.

Don't be afraid to take chances. Adopt new technology and accept the culture shift happening in business. There is a lot of knowledgeable and talented people who have great ideas for moving this organization forward but they can't be restricted by not having a way to vocalize their ideas and/or being shut down because it "isn't how we have done it before."

There are newer employer reviews for Gates Corporation.

Worked for Gates Corporation? Contribute to the Community!