There are newer employer reviews for Gates Corporation

Poor global management makes terrible local inefficiencies

Former Intern - Intern Engineer
Former Intern - Intern Engineer

I worked at Gates Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with (locally), good benefits

Cons

Poor management all around, my supervisor was recently "promoted" prior to I working there which ended up meaning he took on the role of two positions at the salary and potential time of one. This meant I was rarely kept busy when I could have been assisting with other things but he never had the time to assign them to me. Other things I noticed were extreme corner cutting at the expense of worker safety, the plant I worked in had two fires within a single month of I working there, and the management knew it would eventually happen but didn't want to shut down the line to prevent it. This is extreme negligence that not only put their employees at high risk in a plant full of flammable and explosive chemicals, it is pure irony due to the fact that it ended up costing nearly ten times the amount to recoup from the fire than it would have to prevent it. A formerly family owned business bought by international corner cutters who only want to line their pockets= bad business. If I was a betting man I would give them less than a decade of further operations at this current rate of stupidity

Advice to Management

Listen to your local management, don't put employees lives at risk to save money

Other Employee Reviews for Gates Corporation

Great in early years, but stressful in last couple of years.

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Gates Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In early years, career growth opportunity was exceptional.

Cons

Since disclosure of plan to go public, Gates has been short term focused, with no real long term strategies. All about current EBITDA with no thought about many great employees who are responsible for making the 20% EBITDA possible.

Advice to Management

Get the IPO or sale concluded quickly so you (or your replacements) can focus on the long term future of this company.

2. Company continues to change for the worse, executive management only focused on short term gains and selling the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Gates Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and salary still competitive for the most part. Some jobs are much better than others, just be aware of who you are reporting to and their managment style--some of the people at Gates are really good people.

Cons

Management style is thru intimidation and fear, of course this may vary by location. Lay offs and attrition over the last few years has really hurt the collective knowledge of the company. Management shows a lack of support and concern for the welfare of their employees. Advancement opportunities can be limited based on location and corporate politics.

Advice to Management

Show some compassion & respect for your employees. Put your money where your mouth is on growth, you can't close plants, cut inventory, reduce staff, and expect to grow 10%/year.