Gaylord Entertainment

Gaylord Opryland

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

Different people from different cultures. It is good to learn and understand others when you work in a "melting pot".

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for Gaylord was it was hit or miss for different aspects. Sometimes there was plenty of work to be done and we were able to work enough or a lot of hours, other times we were unable to get any hours. Also, some of the training for managers slipped through the cracks. Managers that have been there a while forget basics, like talking to employees and are not updated on new policies. And the newer managers quickly forget what it was like in employees shoes.

I think Colin Reed was a great leader, he made it a point to attend all the meetings that employees (STARS) had and helped better the company. The break down happens at the smaller, off location areas, like the General Jackson and Wildhorse. It becomes difficult to include them in certain aspects of the company but get held to the same standards.

36 Other Employee Reviews for Gaylord Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Looks great on a resume, but not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

In the big picture of the hospitality industry, Gaylord Entertainment is the leader in business travel, and has earned a prestigious reputation in that field. High dollar room and convention rates will ensure long term success for this company. On a resume, everyone knows who Gaylord Entertainment is.

Cons

On paper, the service pyramid at Gaylord has the employees at the top, supported by the management and then the guests. In reality the service pyramid is no where near that. The management is at the top, followed by the guests, and then the employees. Management will not hesitate to sacrifice a good employee in order to maintain their image.

Your employees are your greatest resource, and is the candidate pool for the middle management that is so dearly valued and closely protected.

Tremendous Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

I love this job. Their number one commitment to their STARS is "industry leading training and development." Senior Management has given me the tools and opportunity to grow personally and professionally. Especially at the Opryland property they have a positon for everything. I've seen a call center manager move over to be a restaurant manager. An engineer be promoted to a housekeeping manger and so on. This job gives you a ton of flexibility. If you get bored easily, like me, it's hard to find a work place like this one. I am a VERY satisfied employee.

Cons

Like in all hospitality the schedule can be very demanding. The guests make the schedule so if their is a big turn of the house expect to work.

Keep up the good work.