6 years of ups and downs

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

They have a very comprehensive benefits package and offer bonuses contingent on guest satisfaction. Some of the people are amazing to work with/for.

Cons

Senior management lets the mid-level management take all the heat. There is no work/life balance; if you are in management, as I was, you are expected to respond to all emails quickly. It doesn't matter if you have kids who are sick; if you call out to take care of your children you will be frowned upon and made to feel as if you are not dedicated enough. Forget about if a family member dies - if you are in management your leader might "suggest" that you will feel better working instead of attending the funeral/viewing. They closed the on-site daycare; this was a major selling point to me when I first started working for the company six years ago.

Colin Reed and Pete Weien do a fabulous job leading the company; however, this does not get transferred down from division leaders to department heads. The leaders get stuck between the STARS and the department heads - and Mr. Reed tells us it's all about the STARS. This is actually NOT the case, Mr. Reed.

Other Reviews for Gaylord Entertainment

Great place to work. Amazing environment for the employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

STARS (employee first culture), Benefits, Smiling faces who really want to work and make a difference. Large number of growth opportunities.

Cons

Lot of politics. All decisions are not always in line with STARs first culture. Sometimes decisions are made more in favor of few key people instead of everyone.

When making decisions think one step further on the impact on line STARS and mid-level managers and not just Leadership team.

Gaylord Opryland

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gaylord Entertainment

Pros

Different people from different cultures. It is good to learn and understand others when you work in a "melting pot".

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for Gaylord was it was hit or miss for different aspects. Sometimes there was plenty of work to be done and we were able to work enough or a lot of hours, other times we were unable to get any hours. Also, some of the training for managers slipped through the cracks. Managers that have been there a while forget basics, like talking to employees and are not updated on new policies. And the newer managers quickly forget what it was like in employees shoes.

I think Colin Reed was a great leader, he made it a point to attend all the meetings that employees (STARS) had and helped better the company. The break down happens at the smaller, off location areas, like the General Jackson and Wildhorse. It becomes difficult to include them in certain aspects of the company but get held to the same standards.

There are newer employer reviews for Gaylord Entertainment.

Worked for Gaylord Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!