There are newer employer reviews for Gaylord Hotels

My position started well but was written off in the Marriott management transition.

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Food and Beverage Department in Grapevine, TX
Former Employee - Senior Manager, Food and Beverage Department in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Gaylord Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was good with some little annual increases and bonuses. I enjoyed working with my skilled staff and providing a wonderful service product in a high end setting. The setting of the resort is amazing on the lake in the cool little town of Grapevine, Tx. Nice discounted rooms around the world is a little like working for an airline.

Cons

Gaylord rode the top of the industry through the economic downturns by having a uniquely gracious culture. Gracious to the STARS (highest employee retention in the industry), Gracious in the care of the services and gracious to the customer in the quality of the product. It was a very expensive hotel for a casual setting but it was an AWESOME hospitality experience that customers would return to over and over. With the new Marriott "accounting rules" finance top down based model, an outlet GM and two assist. managers have been trimmed to one AGM. Full time service staff is trimmed by approx. 25% in the last year with more attrition and layoffs of full timers every month. Gaylord culture has come to a complete halt and is reversing without looking back.

Advice to Management

You know what you are doing. I would continue so it will make cookie cutter profits. You should come up with a new franchise sales angle as it will be difficult to sell this expensive concept to new owners after the Gaylord "STARS first" and Gracious environment is finally drained completely from the concept.

Other Employee Reviews for Gaylord Hotels

1. manager

I have been working at Gaylord Hotels full-time

Pros

some people care others do not care

Cons

looking down on low paying stars. from top to low manager.

Advice to Management

check on your down manager

2. Poor leadership by senior management!

Former Employee - Ritz Carlton Atlanta in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Ritz Carlton Atlanta in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gaylord Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say the best thing about working for the Ritz Carlton was the amazing employees that I had to chance to interact with daily and making memories for guests who visited us.

Cons

This company has everything perfect on paper, but the people that are chosen for upper leadership positions act as if you, as an employee, are disposable. There is no care for you as a person and act as if your family - work life balance is not a priority. Employees are underpaid for the amount of hours they want you to work daily and the yearly raises are insignificant. The respect level that upper management has for employees has completely disappeared to the fact that they will not speak to you when they see you in the hotel, but want you to put on a show when they are being audited. I am extremely disappointed in management at this hotel and can see why they have lost so many valuable employees.

Advice to Management

Management, especially upper management, really needs to listen to employees' concerns. Respect is something that should be given to everyone, if you expect it in return. Very difficult to advance in this hotel unless you superficially are a "yes" person to upper management. Needs to improve on motivating their employees and not continue to take them for granted. Your employees are the ONLY reason why the AAA gives you a 5-star rating year after year and why guests posts great comments on TripAdvisor and gallop. Please do not continue to manage the employees in the way that you are because more and more people will continue to leave and you will lose the essence of what brings guests repeatedly back to the hotel......the employees who provide exceptional service.