There are newer employer reviews for Geek Squad

Great way to learn basic technical work and great stepping stone in a Non-cubicle environment

Current Employee - Counter Operations Agent  in  Moline, IL
Current Employee - Counter Operations Agent in Moline, IL

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to learn a lot on the spot about fixing various devices and troubleshooting systems in an open non cubicle environment.

You will be able to get employee accommodations and discounts for services and best buy goods. You learn a lot about windows XP, 7, 8, and quick fixes to tons of common computer problems giving you an advantage to be hired elsewhere later on for more pay.

There is a lot of ways to learn, you just have to be self-motivated and have the drive to seek out those with more experience (ARA's (Advance Repair Agents) Good managers)

I like selling and have learned a lot to build up my self confidence with technology and this has come from a few good managers I worked with including a few ARA's.

Part-time benefits

Working and teching the newest technologies along with having fun talking about old technologies.

Selling (good or bad depending on the person..you HAVE to sell tech support and computers..no commission or not)

Best introduction to being proficient for basic computer tech work for the majority of clients.

You learn a lot of tricks to quickly solve problems with customers and with computers that can be practical in many outside experiences.

Confidence building

The freedom to move about alone is worth slightly less pay imo, but bump me up $3-4 more an hour and a better company and I may suffer the cubicle world'

I really do like my job even though it's chaotic with everything else said.

Cons

Micro managed, you get yelled at a lot, and the pay is worst in the industry imo.

Depends a lot on store managers and your direct supervisor if your experience will be good or not.

The atmosphere is fun (at least for me), but there is a lot of drama working with stressed out management and younger sales people.

Poor training and slow computer ticketing systems (at least at my store)

Pay is poor like I've said and working in this environment full time will make you want to scream so I in stead work two jobs to cover my bills so I only have to be at the store 25-30 hours max.

You rely a lot on only a few approved tools, so this I've found to handicap me when asked particular questions on windows 7 proficiency tests like "where in the registry do you go to remove the key for content adviser?" or where are the sam hives located.."oh you mean Samurai password remover located on the MRI geek Squad CD?...wait they want where that program actually goes to remove passwords.." Keep up to speed and learn outside of work or work closer with an ARA who knows his stuff so you will not be handicapped.

Be consistent, work with your DCI's to ensure good training, proper education and allow others to speak there mind when something isn't right. Make sure you hire enough people to staff shifts so one person doesn't have to do three jobs which will allow them to complete there responsibilities for each day. Allow music, soda in the back and match your Value "Have fun while being the best". Hire people with strong backgrounds in technology and don't just shift people around from other departments unless you are SURE the newly hires know enough to do basic troubleshooting..make them take a test at least..

267 Other Employee Reviews for Geek Squad (View Most Recent)

Management is the make or break behind this company

Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent  in  Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent in Racine, WI

I worked at Geek Squad part-time for more than a year

Pros

Geek squad culture is fun and interesting

Cons

A bad senior or DCI can completely destroy the work environment

Instead of emphasizing one agent managing many others, create some noticeable means of advancement through the company to incentivize loyalty and hard work.

Easy job, no real skill needed

Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent)  in  Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really easy work, nothing too complicated because of the software used. Can be rewarding to help people every day

Cons

Boring at times, slow, training is less than good.. Alot of e-learnings

Engage your employees more, pay them better and require better training. Dont allow anyone to get in with geek squad

There are newer employer reviews for Geek Squad

Worked for Geek Squad? Contribute to the Community!