There are newer employer reviews for Geisinger Health System

I feel that I am not being utilized to my fullest potential.

Pros

Benefits Compensation Retirement Plan No holidays No weekends

Cons

Overworked Poor leadership from management Poor communication from management Rules don't apply to everyone

Advice to Management

Be consistent and fair and you will get more out of your team.

Other Employee Reviews for Geisinger Health System

Poor management made me miserable

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

Pros

Geisinger is a well respected name in the community. For nurses, there are frequent in-services and educational opportunities. Technology and equipment on the floor is reasonably up to date. Overall, there is sufficient ancillary staff. Benefits are good. Several RNs who work in other departments have had a much more positive experience at Geisinger.

Cons

The hospital is located in a very small community - not much going on outside of the hospital. In my department, management is inconsistent and unprofessional. It is not unheard of for staff nurses to be given negative feedback publicly on the floor. Several RNs who worked strictly as daytime or night nurses were told to work the opposite shift or face losing their job. Pay is less than what you could make in other parts of the state.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs more avenues of communication with staff nurses.

2. Its a big place with bigger ambitions...Some Departments are better than others

Pros

Geisinger as a system works very hard to provided excellent health care. People on the front lines of healthcare are committed to taking care of people and doing what is best for every patient!! We are one big family....taking care of your family. The model of "sickcare" is moving toward "wellcare" and prevention! There is a movement toward keeping the staff fit and well....that is financially wise and helps me feel committed to the system.

Cons

Its a big place....changes come slowly....or sometimes not at all. Lots of middle management types with little to do except try to justify there existence. We need fewer managers and more workers....at least in my department.

Advice to Management

I think the Executive Management has be Right on track....Im a big fan of Dr Steele. The cream does not rise to the middle....it rises to the top. If upper management wants to know what the rank and file workers think....ask them directly....Middle management may paint a surreal image of what is going on.....good or bad.