Geisinger Health System

www.geisinger.org

There's a reason I left, and a reason I came back

Workstation Analyst (Current Employee) Danville, PA

ProsFor the Company:
- Large medical facility, providing excellent patient care in a rural setting
- Excellent time off plan, if you're full-time
- Excellent benefits from day one, if you're full-time
- Excellent health insurancem if you're full-time
- Room to grow professionally
- Collaborative atmosphere
- Interested in providing excellent patient care
- Gives back to the community
- Selectively taking on other clinics and hospitals in the area, to prevent their dissolution, and to maintain quality care for the region
- Physicians work for the hospital, not at/from it.
- Geisinger was an early adopter of EMR (EPIC), and put a lot of effort into building and maintaining its IT

For my department:
- No micro-managing
- Friendly coworkers and team-mates
- Ability to work independently
- Management has my back in most cases
- Management is very understanding of time off needs and work/life balance
- Management is approachable
- Team building stuff, such as fitness challenges, picnics, etc.

ConsFor the company:
- Hard to get hired. I started through the in house temp, and when a position was specifically created for me to go full-time, HR's applicant tracking system said I was unqualified.
- If you're not full-time, you're not going to get much of anything
- Doctor's often have god complexes and ridiculous egos
- Nursing staff feels overworked and under-appreciated
- A general sense of being too large
- A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts

For IT:
- IT is goo large, and too departmentally fractured to work effectively.
- Collaboration is in name only

For my department:
- IT as a whole is so large that it often feels like teams are working against each other
- A sense of distrust / blaming / etc between teams
- Undercurrent of favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementFor starters - fix the hiring practices! Ditch the applicant tracking system that HR uses. A position opened for the exact job I had been doing for over a year as an internal temp for, and the ATS deemed me unqualified. The department leader had to track down a member of HR, get them to fish through the system to find my resume, and then put me in the running for the position - and I was most qualified.

It's not that you're turning down good applicants, you're not even seeing that they have applied!

Secondly - be less modest in your portrayal of the hospital system. Yeah, you have problems, but you're also doing a lot of things right for the system and for the community; start playing it up. Address the undercurrent of the system being a monopoly, and of stagnation, and the like. You don't need to address every little pip, but don't let the big stuff slide like you do.

If you want to "Make it the best," then show your best when it's called into question.

Moving on to IT, specifically - we're huge. We're so huge that employees are now specialized in job responsbilities and abilities to the point that if one team or point of contact is unavailable, workflow grinds to a halt. It's great to have leadership support of maintaing infrastructure, but let the work get a little more streamlined.

I am currently working as a tech here, it is an excellent learning experience.

Emergency Room Tech (Current Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System part-time for less than a year

Pros: Everyone is very friendly. If you ever need anything all the staff, doctors included, would love to go out of their way to help. They do a… Cons: I work in the emergency room so you see some… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Outstanding Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Innovative, encourages new ideas, focused on quality outcomes, Cons: Bureocracry. Several layers of management to get through before a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Geisinger Health System.

Worked for Geisinger Health System? Contribute to the Community!