There are newer employer reviews for GenOn Energy

neutral

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at GenOn Energy

Pros

flexible working hours, worklife balance

Cons

not fair in promotions, not possible to work from home

career encouragement

26 Other Employee Reviews for GenOn Energy (View Most Recent)

Reliant Energy - Houston, Texas

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at GenOn Energy

Pros

Compensation appears to in line with other companies in the energy industry. Location - if you enjoy working downtown.

Cons

Hard to get promoted. During my time at the company I have yet to see someone get promoted on my team and more senior positions are almost always filled externally. Although I was hired into the company at a fair compensation level, raises of more than 1 to 2.5% are hard to come by. Since NRG acquired the retail business in early 2009, Reliant has lost many of the perks that once made it a great place to work. Upper management is very out of touch with the rest of the organization and employee morale seems to be at an old time low -- making it a very challenging place to work day in and day out.

Respect your employees and treat them like adults. There are many talented people capable of great work if given the opportunity.

Decent pay, but that's about it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at GenOn Energy

Pros

Salaries at Reliant still appear to be competitive with other employers.

Cons

Since being purchased by NRG, Reliant Energy has lost all the advantages that kept employees coming back: scheduling flexibility, rewards program, generous sickleave. I think many people have been staying put due to the down economy, but that's changing quickly and as jobs appear, valuable people will begin leaving.

Listen to your people instead of just each other. I think many people have been staying put due to the down economy, but that's changing quickly and as jobs appear, valuable people will begin leaving.

There are newer employer reviews for GenOn Energy

Worked for GenOn Energy? Contribute to the Community!