There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

I liked working at Genentech

Former Employee - Process Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Process Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

The company always said we would go where the science leads us and we do what was right for our patients. We didn't worry about next quarter's profits or the stock price.

Great benefits, great co-workers (I've never worked at company with so many smart people) and good pipe line of new products

Cons

The manufacturing group is too bureaucratic and making a simple improvement is too difficult. Following cGMP change control was only a small part of the bureaucracy that you needed to work through to make a simple improvement.

Keep following the science and do what is right for our patients.

reviews filtered by

Treated poorly as a contractor

Current Employee - Engineer in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Informative Intratent and good IT resources.

Cons

Poor communication. As a contractor, you are not able to experience the benefits that Genentech employees get down to sharing communal bicycles. Contractors are treated like subordinates. Good policies only apply to a small amount of individuals on campus that are Genentech employees.

Consider equal treatment of contractors and employees.

Good learning experience but limited career growth opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

great science, rich portfolio of new products
    talented pool of people
    take care of commuters (e.g. gRide program, etc.)
    great learning opportunities for young people

Cons

too many layers of management - too many associate directors who aren't competent on making the right decisions.
    started to layoff people - laid off lower non-manager levels, but the middle management stayed. The remaining lower level staff are so swamped with the extra work from layoff coworkers yet afraid to complain due to job security.
    too many politics
    limited career growth opportunities unless you are well connnected. request for promotion is a lengthy process. be proactive to take on development or rotational assignments as these will help to move around internally.

Post merger integrations would have been much more effective if they were performed by 3rd parties such as management consulting firms. there were various conflicts between roche vs. genentech mgmt. as such, performing integration activities by internal folks simply weren't objective and effective.
    Get rid of layers of middle management. keep the lower level workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech