There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Treated poorly as a contractor

Current Employee - Engineer  in  South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Informative Intratent and good IT resources.

Cons

Poor communication. As a contractor, you are not able to experience the benefits that Genentech employees get down to sharing communal bicycles. Contractors are treated like subordinates. Good policies only apply to a small amount of individuals on campus that are Genentech employees.

Consider equal treatment of contractors and employees.

780 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

Good learning experience but limited career growth opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

great science, rich portfolio of new products
    talented pool of people
    take care of commuters (e.g. gRide program, etc.)
    great learning opportunities for young people

Cons

too many layers of management - too many associate directors who aren't competent on making the right decisions.
    started to layoff people - laid off lower non-manager levels, but the middle management stayed. The remaining lower level staff are so swamped with the extra work from layoff coworkers yet afraid to complain due to job security.
    too many politics
    limited career growth opportunities unless you are well connnected. request for promotion is a lengthy process. be proactive to take on development or rotational assignments as these will help to move around internally.

Post merger integrations would have been much more effective if they were performed by 3rd parties such as management consulting firms. there were various conflicts between roche vs. genentech mgmt. as such, performing integration activities by internal folks simply weren't objective and effective.
    Get rid of layers of middle management. keep the lower level workers.

Management's a Joke since Roche took over

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

People are still great, and you're doing important work for patients. Compensation and benefits are competitive-or-better. Nice campus, pleasant place to work.

Cons

Roche management are idiots. The integration virtually destroyed countless departments at this company. Roche was (and is) more interested in protecting their own and showing GNE exactly who's boss than they are in doing the right thing. I saw our department waste 10s of millions of dollars putting in a new database system because the Roche system sucked and they refused to adopt the Genentech system, because it was Genentech (and by definition anything Genentech is bad). I can count two dozen people just from my department who either left or were forced out by idiot management, and all of them were better than the Roche people who replaced them. There's a reason this company has plummeted in the rankings of "best place to work" from #1 a few years ago to about #50, and that free-fall is not going to stop any time soon. Watching this place now is like watching a loved one slowly die. It's agonizing, and I'm glad I moved on before Roche finishes throwing dirt on the body.

Remember that, before you took over, Genentech was a world-class company with a more robust pipeline than anyone else in the industry (including Roche). Stop trying to force your outdated, bloated policies (that were choking your company into oblivion in the first place) and idiot upper management stooges down our throats and try to collaborate with the people here. You might learn something, and the company will be better off.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!