There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

A great place to work and contribute to the advancement of medicine.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The focus of work on improving the lives of patients. I understand exactly how my work contributes toward this goal.

Cons

As the company has grown, it has developed some really inefficient processes. People are at least cognizent of this, however, and always open to change and improvement.

Advice to Management

Focus on how to improve the business,not always on how to improve the processes. Make process lean and non-limiting.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

1. ART LEVINSON is GENENTECH

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

ART LEVINSON!! Don't under estimate the employee trust in him. It's the best company in the US. The culture is laid back, real, and we have a great time working and playing. This is one of the most fulfilling jobs I have had. When I came to pharma sells I wasn't sure if it was the place for me. I realized that GNE has amazing products and pipeline. I never get board. There is always something or someone to learn from. We make differences in patients live. I have worked in the past managing oncology patient treatments. Genentech is invested in providing drugs to anyone and everyone that may benefit from their products.

Cons

Although it is a new company- there are some folks that have been here over 10 years that are catered to. Doesn't always make sense.

Advice to Management

Share with me why some are picked for promotion and others not. How do you justify these choices?

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Speaking from my experience in research and development , Genentech is fantastic development for ambitious workers, particularly from people coming from academia looking to jump into industry jobs. The best description is an accelerated research environment. Worrying about logistics (worrying about ordering supplies, how much are these reagents going to cost, stuff like that) is never an obstacle for doing a study. Research groups are very eager to help one another. It is very easy to find an expert willing to offer assistance.

Cons

Depending on the group, work/life balance becomes an issue. There is little to no opportunity to advance beyond Research associate unless you have a phd. Due to the high skill level of people hired to the company, it can be somewhat difficult to move into other research areas/labs within the company.

Advice to Management

Senior management has done a great job, particularly in keeping morale high for the company.