There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

The best company I've ever worked!

Former Employee - Operations Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Operations Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great smart people, wonderful benefits, the opportunity to make a huge positive impact on the lives of patients.

Cons

Hard work, sometimes long hours!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, and keep up the good work!

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

1. Excellent, employee-friendly company

Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, very smart people, great company culture. There is very good investment in research and development and scarcity of resources is never a limiting factor for innovation.

Cons

Research is very hierarchical and there is no career development track for non-PhDs or people who are in the research associate job function. Long-timers are more concerned with getting publications and their own career development rather than how their research aligns with the company goals.

Advice to Management

Please look at how career development is handled in research and align it more with how things are in the rest of the company.

Great company

Current Intern - Co-Op in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Co-Op in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an intellectual, stimulating environment to work in. The common goal of bringing forth new drugs and therapies for the benefit of the patient comes across very clear in this community.

Cons

As an intern in R&D, I feel like a slave doing every task that is handed me. I don't feel like I have creative freedom in my experiments. However, this might just be the case with my particular supervisor.

Advice to Management

Ensure that intern supervisors have a shared understanding of their purpose in the intern/co-op program. While productivity is and should be the overall goal, I think there should be more of a focus on the development of the individual person as well. If a supervisor isn't willing to make this a goal, then they shouldn't agree to have an intern.