Hoping for the best but bracing for the reality.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

The mission of "meeting unmet medical needs" is a great reason to work for Genentech. Doing good for the greater good while working with very smart people to meet the corporate mission helps keep focus on delivering on projects. The culture and ability to make a difference when gives meaning to all efforts and day-to-day tasks.

Cons

Long hours and the politics.

Be open in your communications and true to yourself in your engagement with your staff.

Other Reviews for Genentech

Proud to be a Genentech's employee

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Genentech is for sure one of the best companies to work for. They offers very competitive compensation package and generous benefits. I like the company's mission of meeting unmet medical needs. It really makes me proud to be part of the team and work in a company who truely cares for the patients and the employee. The working hours are flexible. Important to mention here is that I work at the IT department. For me, as long as I get my work done, the working hours are not that straight. The working environment is fun and most of the people are great to work with. There are many various company, departments or group events throughout the year that promote fun working environment.

Cons

Genentech promotes and maintains a free culture that can hinder efficiency.

Keep up the good work

Great ride while it lasted, now Roche will define the new culture

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Good products that actually help patients, many very smart people, excellent benefits, a lot of room to take initiative and recommend flexibility, many interesting projects. The sale and marketing arm and sales force is very well treated, rewarded and compensated. They're a bunch of especially happy campers.

Cons

Self-involved, siloed CXO level mgt, really bad IT, poor communication across lines of business. Another strange pattern observed year after year was how each business unit set incredibly detailed hierarchies of yearly goals and objectives from departments,to groups, to teams, to individuals etc., that were not integrated horizontally across the company at all. Dependencies that one department has on another were not managed, rewarded or highlighted. All top down and traditionally siloed. Budgets are allocated the same way, all top down. Therefore incentives are designed to optimize just your local team's results, rather to to maximize cross company initiatives.

Art is very good, but most of his direct reports appear to follow the rest and vest mgt model - i.e. don't rock the boat. Should deeply rethink why they didn't successfully fend off the Roche takeover

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!