Genentech

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

10+ years, and I will never leave

Current Employee - Director in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Director in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. Despite the Roche acquisition in 2009, this is still a top science company and great place for working parents. The benefits are many and plentiful. Even after 10 years, I am amazed at how well Genentech treats its employees. There are many opportunities to move up or over. This is a highly ethical company.

Cons

It's large. You can get lost in the crowd. The bar for performance is very high.

Keep up the great work.

878 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

False Promises

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst/Assistant Systems Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at the Service Desk, you will get free food occasionally on busy days and there is plenty of OT available. Can apply for a regular position after 6 months.

Cons

OT is on a first come first serve basis, good luck finding any shifts. Also, you are constantly being watched, micro-managed, and you have to be on your toes every minute working there. You make one mistake, and you can be let go. If you're a contractor, they won't tell you why you're fired or let anyone else know.

You can apply for a full time position but they don't tell you what you need to do to become a regular. Management tells you to be great, but they don't tell you how to or what aspect you need to do to be great. They are hypocrites and play INCREDIBLE favorites.

During training, you have to make an impression. Management chooses who they want to succeed right from the very beginning and push them. If you are a great fit and a great worker, but they don't like you or pick you at the beginning, good luck going anywhere else. They won't help you one bit.

Change everything, starting with managers who know how to manage. Managers play favorites too much and nit-pick at the smallest things. They don't listen to you unless you're a "veteran" or a suck up. I left the company because of management not helping me out when I deserved it through my hard work and voice of ambition yet was not given ANY opportunities and was given some phony excuse.

Good to Bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Genentech care about Patient, employee, Science & Shareholders.
    Gym
    child care
    work from home

Cons

Roche care about Money, Money, Money, then Shareholder, Patient and at last the employee.
    The employee in the Drug Safety department are unhappy and depressed. the Genentech brand has been tarnish and now people do not looking at Genentech as company they would like to work for.

Overhaul the DS Management team, because it not working.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech