Genentech
www.gene.com South San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

False Promises

Service Desk Analyst/Assistant Systems Specialist (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at the Service Desk, you will get free food occasionally on busy days and there is plenty of OT available. Can apply for a regular position after 6 months.

ConsOT is on a first come first serve basis, good luck finding any shifts. Also, you are constantly being watched, micro-managed, and you have to be on your toes every minute working there. You make one mistake, and you can be let go. If you're a contractor, they won't tell you why you're fired or let anyone else know.

You can apply for a full time position but they don't tell you what you need to do to become a regular. Management tells you to be great, but they don't tell you how to or what aspect you need to do to be great. They are hypocrites and play INCREDIBLE favorites.

During training, you have to make an impression. Management chooses who they want to succeed right from the very beginning and push them. If you are a great fit and a great worker, but they don't like you or pick you at the beginning, good luck going anywhere else. They won't help you one bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange everything, starting with managers who know how to manage. Managers play favorites too much and nit-pick at the smallest things. They don't listen to you unless you're a "veteran" or a suck up. I left the company because of management not helping me out when I deserved it through my hard work and voice of ambition yet was not given ANY opportunities and was given some phony excuse.

10+ years, and I will never leave

Director (Current Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Best company I've ever worked for. Despite the Roche acquisition in 2009, this is still a top science company and great place for working parents.… Cons: It's large. You can get lost in the crowd. The… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the great work. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Overall a great company to work for

South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Benefits, collaborative environment, freedom to work outside strict boundaries (at least in Research), flexible working hours,… Cons: Now considered "Big Pharma" due to the Roche ownership. This translates into more rules, slower processes, cumbersome information technology systems (SAP-based), less individual impact on… Advice to Senior Management: Improve the cumbersome network systems (CHRIS, g2g, etc). Tie compensation… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Genentech.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!

Genentech – Why Work for Us?

Changing the Course of Medicine When you work at Genentech, you'll come to understand that changing the course of medicine requires the kind of inspiration that can only come from a combined commitment to patients… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genentech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark . All reviews posted anonymously by Genentech employees.