Genentech

www.gene.com
  www.gene.com
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Better than some, worse than others. Roche culture is hurting GNE culture and morale

Current Employee - Assistant Systems Specialist in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Systems Specialist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
Opportunities to learn skills that will help you market yourself
Lot's of food
Lot's of parties
Six week sabbatical every 6 years for regular employees

Cons

Very political
Little to no opportunities for growth
Little to no opportunities for advancement
Competitive to the point of back stabbing
Morale is at its lowest in years

Transparency, there are way too many secrets causing a huge lack of trust and respect
Stop treating people like 'resources'

828 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

Many pros, significant cons

Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, cafeteria, holiday parties were great. Unlimited resources to do science.

Cons

No career ladder or chance or move up. Scientists hired on the basis of prestigious publications not actual disease relevant research experience. Large egos hinder real progress. As an RA, I was told that I was not there to think, but only to execute.

Acknowledge that everyone has something of value to contribute. Great ideas don't only come from Senior VPs.

False Promises

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst/Assistant Systems Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the Service Desk, you will get free food occasionally on busy days and there is plenty of OT available. Can apply for a regular position after 6 months.

Cons

OT is on a first come first serve basis, good luck finding any shifts. Also, you are constantly being watched, micro-managed, and you have to be on your toes every minute working there. You make one mistake, and you can be let go. If you're a contractor, they won't tell you why you're fired or let anyone else know.

You can apply for a full time position but they don't tell you what you need to do to become a regular. Management tells you to be great, but they don't tell you how to or what aspect you need to do to be great. They are hypocrites and play INCREDIBLE favorites.

During training, you have to make an impression. Management chooses who they want to succeed right from the very beginning and push them. If you are a great fit and a great worker, but they don't like you or pick you at the beginning, good luck going anywhere else. They won't help you one bit.

Change everything, starting with managers who know how to manage. Managers play favorites too much and nit-pick at the smallest things. They don't listen to you unless you're a "veteran" or a suck up. I left the company because of management not helping me out when I deserved it through my hard work and voice of ambition yet was not given ANY opportunities and was given some phony excuse.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech