Genentech

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Many pros, significant cons

Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, cafeteria, holiday parties were great. Unlimited resources to do science.

Cons

No career ladder or chance or move up. Scientists hired on the basis of prestigious publications not actual disease relevant research experience. Large egos hinder real progress. As an RA, I was told that I was not there to think, but only to execute.

Acknowledge that everyone has something of value to contribute. Great ideas don't only come from Senior VPs.

813 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

False Promises

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst/Assistant Systems Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the Service Desk, you will get free food occasionally on busy days and there is plenty of OT available. Can apply for a regular position after 6 months.

Cons

OT is on a first come first serve basis, good luck finding any shifts. Also, you are constantly being watched, micro-managed, and you have to be on your toes every minute working there. You make one mistake, and you can be let go. If you're a contractor, they won't tell you why you're fired or let anyone else know.

You can apply for a full time position but they don't tell you what you need to do to become a regular. Management tells you to be great, but they don't tell you how to or what aspect you need to do to be great. They are hypocrites and play INCREDIBLE favorites.

During training, you have to make an impression. Management chooses who they want to succeed right from the very beginning and push them. If you are a great fit and a great worker, but they don't like you or pick you at the beginning, good luck going anywhere else. They won't help you one bit.

Change everything, starting with managers who know how to manage. Managers play favorites too much and nit-pick at the smallest things. They don't listen to you unless you're a "veteran" or a suck up. I left the company because of management not helping me out when I deserved it through my hard work and voice of ambition yet was not given ANY opportunities and was given some phony excuse.

Still one of the places to be even if some of the magic is lost

Current Employee - Assistant Systems Specialist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Systems Specialist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A place that values individuality and cares about the patient and employee. Culture and benefits are pretty good. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Everything used to be better. Roche is slowly killing what made Genentech so special. I'm not as happy as I used to be.

Fight the Roche penny pinching and bring the fun culture back

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech