Genentech

www.gene.com
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Not what it used to be...

Current Employee - Regulatory Associate in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Regulatory Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Making medicine that helps patients is a fulfilling thing to be a part of.

Potential for work-life balance still exists in some jobs.

Sabbaticals.

Cons

Overall compensation (smaller bonuses, discontinued employee stock plan) has gone down while workload has increased.

Many of the best people have left, and with them the culture of open discourse has deteriorated as well. The general vibe is more corporate and political.

After integration with Roche, employees are expected to get excited about working globally. What this means for most workers is longer hours for telecons with Europe, greater workload and greater complexity, more chaotic business process (our way vs. their way). Where's the upside? I'm not seeing it.

Management (in my experience...) look out for themselves. Training, onboarding, mentoring - all scarce. No one has time to discuss strategies in advance, but higher ups always find the time to scold on any missteps. No sense of collaboration.

Have you noticed all those people who left? If the economy improves, many more of us will leave.

850 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

A great intern experience!

Former Employee - Computer Science in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Science in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

fun, easy-going, goal-oriented, meaningful, relaxed, surrounded by very smart people, easy commute with the shuttles, really awesome.

Cons

The only real downside I saw was that if I weren't motivated I could've gotten away with hiding in a corner for years before anyone realized it.

Keep on being awesome. Also, check the corners on occasion.

Genentech is the best biotechnology company to work for in the Bay Area.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Genentech has the best scientists and researchers. Interacting with these colleagues is the best part about going to work here.

Company generously rewards employees with solid, competitive pay and bonuses.

Cons

Certain departments are consistently overworked and need more people, more support.

HR and senior management should do a better job of evaluating staffing and ensure that they have adequate people and talent for evolving project needs.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech