Genentech

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Contract Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Contract Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has some serious resources and offers lot of perks to employees, e.g. excellent benefits, tasty and affordable on-campus dining, free shuttles from San Francisco. Most employees were pleasant and there was a comfortable and casual environment.

Cons

Some of the folks you have to interact with can be brusque and outright rude because they think this style will get results. While there's some logic to this, ultimately, it's very unpleasant to have to work with these people on a regular basis.

There was lots of turnover in my group which meant that new employees were coming on board who needed to be trained. This was going on at the same that work was ramping up for the group. So you ended up with too much to do, co-workers who didn't always know what they were supposed to be doing, and had folks from other groups and divisions breathing down your neck as you worked away. This led to dissatisfaction which then led to more folks leaving. I think this group finally stabilized some time after I left, but I'm not sure of the dynamics now.

The company is very successful at keeping new drugs in the pipeline, so kudos! But make sure that the support services that keep this pipeline open are adequately staffed to meet growth.

847 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a very safe place to work

Cons

Takes a while to move up

Great company, terrific people, challenging and stimulating workplace. I enjoyed working here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people, supportive workplace, ltos of resources to get your job done, Great focus on cross training. You can move around from group to group learning different skills as you go.

Cons

Micromanagement, over specialization of certain tasks, not enough freedom to work outside the lines. Fair amount of group think here, and sometimes you come across a party line that you have to repeat, even if you dont agree with it.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech