Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are great opportunities for anyone who's interested, regardless of your title. The perks, pay, and benefits are also great.

Cons

Work/ life balance can be challenging. Also, there could be a better way to share best practices across the organization. Each department operates differently and they could benefit by better integrating best practices.

Other Reviews for Genentech

Super

Current Employee - Principal Scientist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, culture and values

Cons

less transparent in decision making

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Contract Manager  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has some serious resources and offers lot of perks to employees, e.g. excellent benefits, tasty and affordable on-campus dining, free shuttles from San Francisco. Most employees were pleasant and there was a comfortable and casual environment.

Cons

Some of the folks you have to interact with can be brusque and outright rude because they think this style will get results. While there's some logic to this, ultimately, it's very unpleasant to have to work with these people on a regular basis.

There was lots of turnover in my group which meant that new employees were coming on board who needed to be trained. This was going on at the same that work was ramping up for the group. So you ended up with too much to do, co-workers who didn't always know what they were supposed to be doing, and had folks from other groups and divisions breathing down your neck as you worked away. This led to dissatisfaction which then led to more folks leaving. I think this group finally stabilized some time after I left, but I'm not sure of the dynamics now.

The company is very successful at keeping new drugs in the pipeline, so kudos! But make sure that the support services that keep this pipeline open are adequately staffed to meet growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!