There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Global IT group

Current Employee - Business Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

lots of very thoughtful and convenient amenities (even to us contractors) such as Genenbus and cafes with a variety of cuisine even for specialized diets like vegan or vegetarianism. FTE get a host of other great benefits too. For the most part people are very professional as well. Pay is fair and reasonable if not better. It's definitely a company that cares about its employees and you feel appreciated and that the resources are available to you (including required ergonomic assessments and follow-thru for office configuration and equipment personalized to your body, frame, and how you work).

At other companies you tend to hear a lot of "no budget for that sorry" for even basic things. Genentech does believe in some core fundamentals that can not be compromised and "budget" won't be an obstacle to those things (like... the ergonomic team and required ergonomice assessments).

Cons

The "spoiling" of employees over the years has developed some "divas" within the workforce and unfortunately this at times comes out in dealing with cross-functional teams or just in general in the hallways. As well, longtimers can be heard complaining about the "downhill spiral" of this company due to what they were used to and how Genentech spoiled them even further in previous generations.

As much as I appreciate that having been trhough a merger and seeing the most amazing organization become a shadow of itself and its people - the reality is that Genentech still treats their employees mighty handsomely (even if not as wel as before). So i'm sorry and grieve for you because Beyonce and Maroon 5 (or acts to that level) don't have Genentech-only concerts regularly anymore at the company parking lots... How do you survive and live like that? Get over it.

Most of you still get to travel the world in the name of "work" on the company's dime. You are still spoiled compared to the great majority of other companies and people working.

Never lose the focus on philosophy on "take care of your best assets - your employees". I understand competition is tough and belt tightening is a natural evolution with the global economy - but NEVER forget to take care of your employees - THEY are the company and what makes you Genentech - nobody else.

You have and continue to do a great job of that - never lose it. And thank you for bringing me into the family (even as a contractor). It really is a terrific place to be and thank you for making the workplace so enjoyable to come to and for making me feel taken care of from the moment i walk out the door (with Genenbus), to feeding me great food at good prices 2 out of my 3 meals a day, and for taking care of me til I get home (Genenbus ride home).

796 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

Getting Better Every Day!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

The Hillsboro site has undergone a huge transformation over the past 2 1/2 years. Teams are hitting major milestones and collaboration has improved greatly. Senior Management is listening and has made noticable efforts to improve the working culture. Nearly all the people who contributed to the problems in 2011 are long gone, replaced with the exceptional talent that one would expect to find at Genentech.

Cons

Business processes are still too complex and decision making is still too slow. There still are a handful of people who are only looking out for themselves, which make it hard for the rest of us. Work/life balance is still a challenge, people in some groups are getting burned-out while others don't seem to pick up the slack. Some middle managers need to put their egos aside and focus on doing the right things for the business over what's best for them.

Continue to show the employees you care. The words and actions are getting though. Empower people to make decisions at lower levels and hold people accountable for results. Don't let promises go undelivered. Provide support and stay engaged with the employees to make them successful. Don't micromanage, but be present and offer advice/support/help only when truly needed. Manage fairly and continue to manage out the truly poor performers.

Work hard, play hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

The patient is #1. Many intelligent people work here. My group is relatively free of egos, but make sure it's a good group fit before signing on the dotted line.

Cons

Often people get silo'ed and don't know what others are doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech