There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Still a stimulating and fun work environment

Current Employee - Senior Planner in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Planner in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate co-workers. Down to earth and straight-talking leadership. Clear mission and focus on the company's patients and its people. While the work can get intense, a fun work environment overall.

Cons

Employees have gotten a little entitled and unappreciative of all that the company provides.

Continue streamlining and simplifying processes and procedures, where prudent.

reviews filtered by
  1. Amazing: Intellectually challenging and a lot of fun! Work hard, play hard

Former Employee - Intern in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Working with some of the smartest folks in the industry. Working on breakthrough science that impacts the lives of patients everyday, everywhere in the world.

Cons

Work hard play hard means work hard 1st then play hard. Not really a cons, just a thought to keep in mind

Poor Management throughout, Horrible IT Department, Overly Political.

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Nice cafeterias in three of the twenty or so buildings. The company is helping a lot of people with cutting edge medications and advanced cancer research. Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors. If your in the upper-mid or upper echelon, you are getting a decent salary and you are being treated like a king.

Cons

HIGHLY political culture with MANY incompetent managers who seemingly unknowingly encourage an elitist-like culture. Pay is awful if you are not in the upper portion of the political spectrum. The company cut costs on things it should not, such as IT.

Overall, a depressing experience since I was coming in thinking this is the sort of company that is setting an example for future work culture where everyone is treated fairly and there is a feeling that EVERYONE is a part of the overall team. Its the opposite. Genentech is a perfect example of corporate culture and all of the negative traits rightly associated with it. Mainly that the elites are favored and the people working hard are considered disposable. If this company can save a dollar by axing you, they will not blink an eye in doing so. Basically, I received a pay cut while there are members making 480x what I currently make!

One is much better off working at a place that will acknowledge hard work and rightfully compensate for it. Rather than pinching pennies with the notion that they are doing a person like me a favor by allowing me to be on a sterile campus over-run with cubicles for the "little people" and private offices for the elites. Highly disappointing that a successful company like Genentech is allowing anyone on the campus, let alone people with jobs that are of extremely HIGH necessity to bring home less than 35k a year. Especially in a place like the Bay Area.

I left this company to work for a start-up that is paying me over 80k for performing a third of the work that I was doing at Genentech. Maybe Roche is responsible for the way things currently are and the way things are apparently headed?

The bottom line is that I cant recommend this place to anyone without an MBA or Doctorate. Life is too short.

Get off the high horse!