Genentech

www.gene.com
  www.gene.com
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Greatest place to work with some continuous improvement prospects.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Oceanside, CA
Current Employee - Supervisor in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Career opportunities, benefits, ability to make a difference

Cons

Small company mentality, trying to operate as big company

Hold middle management accountable for results. Leadership competecies can not be taught. You can not teach people to behave. Some managers continue to be managers even though they are not 'people' oriented. This is the proverbial 'worm in the apple'. This continues to be a great company, but the few 'worms' infect our culture daily. They are the blockers, naysers, the ones that can not and will not adapt to change. Performance management should work these people out of the system-or at least in positions that do not toxify the rest of the employees that enjoy the impact they make in the daily work they perform.

814 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

A great place to work, can be political

Current Employee - Clinical Data Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

The company's mission is real and lived every day: Our mission is to be the leading biotechnology company, using human genetic information to discover, develop, manufacture and commercialize biotherapeutics that address significant unmet medical needs. We commit ourselves to high standards of integrity in contributing to the best interests of patients, the medical profession, our employees and our communities, and to seeking significant returns to our stockholders, based on the continual pursuit of scientific and operational excellence.

Cons

This is a huge company and it is easy to get lost in the crowd. For most people that is probably fine but if you are seeking advancement and recognition, it can be difficult. It is sometimes hard to understand why the people that seem to be rising stars are doing so well as often there is nothing special about them. The environment can at times seem VERY political.

The "true" senior leaders seem to have a clear sense of where we need to go and how to get there. That seems to get more muddy the farther down the leadership chain you go.

Great workplace

Current Employee - Business Manager
    Current Employee - Business Manager

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Great benefits. Genentech offers an extensive shuttle service from various BART stations around the Bay Area. Plus, the selection and quality of food in the cafeterias is top-notch.

No complaints about comp. The stock option program will probably go away if Roche buys the company, though.

Company has a great track record with Wall St. Art's a fantastic CEO - bright, results-oriented, and a great communicator. He won't obfuscate his audience with buzzwords...he's a straight shooter and will call a spade a spade. Very refreshing.

Cons

It's a relatively big company. If you come from a smaller company, be prepared to spend more effort to get noticed. If you come from a big company, you won't notice this at all.

Fight the good fight: hold out for every penny from Roche.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech