Genentech

www.gene.com

Just getting started.

Programmer Analyst II (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsCompanies so far is great. Compensation is pretty good, benefits are very good. People seem to enjoy working here. They will get whatever tool you need to do the job (software, hardware, etc)

ConsRoche merger is murky: will benefits change? will culture change? Probably will change at least slightly for the worst, my exposure to the Swiss business culture paints them as a more rigid crew and will probably want to reign in spending and perks and bring more corporate culture to a place that still has a hint of that start-up feel.

Information is not shared very well here. I am outside the main IT groups, so as a software engineer, I am constantly digging for information. With that said, people are a little naive on large projects and completely underestimate the development time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave Roche and Genentech separate, there are too many good employers in the Bay area to convert this company into a business casual, bare minimum benefits, stuffy culture environment.

Lots of changes- not for the better

Associate Director (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros: This place still has some of the smartest people in the industry. My legacy Genentech teams are data driven and goal oriented with good camaraderie.… Cons: Since we integrated with Roche, there has been a dramatic shift in overall culture to a one that is market and revenue driven. This has… Advice to Senior Management: You bought Genentech because of its proven track record and now you want to dismantle development. Here is a clue, if Genentech development takes on… More

Growth opportunities difficult w/o a Berkeley MBA or Harvard M.D.

Project Coordinator, Development (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros: Their benefits package is great, salary is competitive and work atmosphere is very supportive and full of people who you enjoy working with, for the… Cons: Very windy and cold usually. The company is growing so the culture is starting to change and the growth… Advice to Senior Management: Keep the culture the same as it was. The majority of the talent in Development left due to the acquisition. You don't want… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Genentech.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!