Genentech

www.gene.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Genentech is a great company but each site is different

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

I liked the value Genentech (Corporation) placed on employee satisfaction. I feel that as a corporation Genentech shares information that impacts us at the appropriate time and trust's its employees to be professional about the information. I also liked the stability the company has attained, this affords them the ability to have extra non-routine benefits such as HoHos, Incentives, recognition programs, free drinks etc. Genentech's bonus structure is also very generous given the company has a good year. I also liked the resources available for professional development. I was able to take numerous internal courses that helped develop my skills. The Genentech facilities are also very confortable to work in with wide open spaces.

Cons

The culture at the particular site where I worked at was not very rewarding. The site tends to elicit competition with the other sites. This is a very uncomfortable situation when you are representing the site on a cross site project. Another downside is that although Genentech is flexible with your time, Genentech expects 120% from everyone, on average. However, they encourage that you balance work / life. In addition, at the site I worked at, it feels as if the ones that stretch themselves and take the challenges are not necessarily the ones that are rewarded. It sometime feels as if they prefer a more quiet behavior.

Senior management needs to focus on the work being accomplished and embrace individuality. It is individuality and sharing of ideas (be it same or different) that results in positive change.

887 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

Corporate IT is a mess but the company is, on the whole, not a bad place to work .

Former Employee - Senior Software Programmer/Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Programmer/Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Good benefits, recognized name on resume

Cons

bad IT management, bloated staffing levels, lack of leadership on IT team(s), lots of consultants sat around paid $$$ to do nothing...no focus. All the usual corporate IT negatives.

Get a technical guy in to head up Corporate IT and start trimming deadwood. IT should be nimble and accountable. Just because the corporation has lots of cash, dont keep throwing it at problems. Demand the same excellence you would of the R & D side from CIT.

Great workplace

Current Employee - Business Manager
    Current Employee - Business Manager

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Great benefits. Genentech offers an extensive shuttle service from various BART stations around the Bay Area. Plus, the selection and quality of food in the cafeterias is top-notch.

No complaints about comp. The stock option program will probably go away if Roche buys the company, though.

Company has a great track record with Wall St. Art's a fantastic CEO - bright, results-oriented, and a great communicator. He won't obfuscate his audience with buzzwords...he's a straight shooter and will call a spade a spade. Very refreshing.

Cons

It's a relatively big company. If you come from a smaller company, be prepared to spend more effort to get noticed. If you come from a big company, you won't notice this at all.

Fight the good fight: hold out for every penny from Roche.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech