There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Great place to work at, but difficult to get promoted

Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Very competitive pay and benefits
Innovative culture
Good amenities
Talented research scientists
Balance between work and recreation

Cons

Communication problems with mid- and upper management
Employees suggestions often get neglected by upper management
Promotion depends more on politics, not professional achievements

Create more channels for employee feedback to ensure better communication. Promote people with achievements and real talent, not people knowing how to play with politics.

reviews filtered by

Just getting started.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Companies so far is great. Compensation is pretty good, benefits are very good. People seem to enjoy working here. They will get whatever tool you need to do the job (software, hardware, etc)

Cons

Roche merger is murky: will benefits change? will culture change? Probably will change at least slightly for the worst, my exposure to the Swiss business culture paints them as a more rigid crew and will probably want to reign in spending and perks and bring more corporate culture to a place that still has a hint of that start-up feel.

Information is not shared very well here. I am outside the main IT groups, so as a software engineer, I am constantly digging for information. With that said, people are a little naive on large projects and completely underestimate the development time.

Leave Roche and Genentech separate, there are too many good employers in the Bay area to convert this company into a business casual, bare minimum benefits, stuffy culture environment.

Lots of changes- not for the better

Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

This place still has some of the smartest people in the industry. My legacy Genentech teams are data driven and goal oriented with good camaraderie. There remains a strong sense of purpose, placing the good of the patient above all else. I am well compensated (for now) and the campus is beautiful.

Cons

Since we integrated with Roche, there has been a dramatic shift in overall culture to a one that is market and revenue driven. This has created significant disagreements within the new “integrated” teams that have both legacy Roche and Genentech members. Roche management style is vastly different from Genentech’s. Feedback is almost nil and there is little to no mentorship. Our department head is more concerned with amassing power than with improving either the department or the work life of the employees in it. It is completely demotivating. This trickles down so that many employees are more interested in high profile committee work than their actual work, placing an undue burden on those that still want to do a good job. The protection of European employees is at the cost of the US employees who have no such protections. Some departments seem to have fared better than others but ours is completely changed.

You bought Genentech because of its proven track record and now you want to dismantle development. Here is a clue, if Genentech development takes on all the Roche ways, you will get Roche results and not Genentech results. You will also have sheeple and not motivated, intellectual, inquisitive employees. Stop your power tripping and concentrate on doing the company and the department some good.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech