There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Big Pharma

Current Employee - Principal Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Principal Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Good benefits, Smart people, Great mission

Cons

Limited growth, Managed by EPS,

Advice to Management

Use Open Book Management and transparency in communication

reviews filtered by
  1. Great experience

Former Employee - Co-Op in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Co-Op in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Genentech is laid back and a fun place to work. People work hard, but don't live stressful lives. As a co-op, I was given meaningful projects and even got the chance to get my name of a paper. the Genenbuses made it easy to live in the city and the free muni passes made it easy/free to use public transportation. The lunches are really good and affordable. It was nice to never have to worry about packing a lunch.

Cons

There isn't too much that I can say about my experience that was bad. There wasn't enough space for the co-ops/interns in my department, so some had to make their lab their desk. I was also there when Roche took over, so I only saw the beginnings of what was to come, change-wise. I've heard that they've made an effort to preserve the culture.

Advice to Management

The culture is what makes Genentech so great, so please don't change things too much.

Working environment was great, now ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

The company is solid and has a great reputation. I feel that management is open and willing to listen to advice and comments from employees. The workload is manageable and work-life balance is preserved.

Cons

Processes and operating procedures are constantly in flux and have been since the Roche buyout. The company is unfortunately moving away from its entrepreneurial roots and more toward the embracing of a stodgy pharma mentality. This is really hurting employee morale, and many senior people have left the company.

Advice to Management

Preserve Genentech's culture and keep processes in tact. Allow for employees to opt for reduced pay/reduced working hours instead of resorting to layoffs.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech