There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Genentech is still the best place to work in the bay area.

Current Employee - Clinical Coordinator  in  South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Clinical Coordinator in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Good pay and great corporate culture.

Cons

Commute is a bit much, but they try to help out with shuttles and carpool pay.

775 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

Good place to work, needs to figure out how to move from where it was to where it is going internally

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Decent benefits, acceptable pipeline and overall the company is still focused on the right values. In general, still one of the better companies out there.

Cons

Empire building has led to unnecessarily large teams which also resulted in pushing out some of our best and brightest. Promotions are not based on merit alone and the bar always keeps moving as to what is considered meeting the criteria for promotion.

Great company but are the best days behind us?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

Great salary and benefits. There is interesting work and opportunities to get to know and understand many aspects of the biotech industry. Sabbaticals and holiday vacation / time off is a great benefit.

Cons

Work activities are narrowly focused. You get a lot of great experience but it is often only within a narrowly defined area. Moving between other groups and organizations is very difficult. That is why many people stay within the same group for years.

Senior management is focused on reducing headcount in South San Francisco. This is after they eliminated employees at their Nutley NJ and Palo Alto sites. This company is very much apart of the Roche group in that all the major decisions are made in Basel.

I think Genentech's best days are over. Given recent failures, the pressure to reduce expenses will only increase.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!