Generac Power Systems
www.generac.com Waukesha, WI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Every company has its good points and bad - Generac is no exception.

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGenerac depends heavily on the individual efforts of its workers (read tribal knowledge). You also get exposure to a large variety of manufacturing methods. On a related note, the project content can be quite diverse. So, if you're an enterprising self stater,you can build up a resume quite quickly. Additionally, since the turnover is so high, it's easy to find good references. Generac is a good stepping stone. By and large, the people you work with are knowlegable, dedicated, and friendly. The environment itself is enjoyable. Although being the new guy on the block can be difficult, after a 1-2 years, you'll find your part of the fabric of Generac (there always seem to be new people arriving). Generac can be a rewarding place to work, but you had best be happy in the position you hire in as because few advancement growth opportunities exist in product development. That also means you should be sure to negotiate a starting salary that you're happy with as well.

ConsFirst, be aware that Generac has a very old school culture. If you work for Generac, your going to wear a tie. Second, If you're in product development, there is very little room for advancement. Generac doesn't groom or develop internal candidates for management positions in product development. Although, I find that this statement isn't true on the manufacturing side of the business. When I left, Generac had hired about 7 new product development managers off the street - not one internal candidate was promoted (and a few talented individuals do exist). Last item, the Generac insurance is difficult to do correctly (worse than average). There is a price for having cost effective health care. Plan on getting to know your administrators.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop the revolving door. I've never had a problem with my immediate manager. I don't think that is where the problem is.

Great place to grow

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

Pros: Good place if you are a self starter and don't… Cons: The corporate office could use major updating Advice to Senior Management: Become more focused on the customers Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Not sure how it made the top places to work...it's still touted, even though that was many, many years ago.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

Pros: The people are the best part. There are some very strong relationships… Cons: The company just went public but doesn't have leadership that is experienced implementing the necessary changes to move from a privately held company to a… Advice to Senior Management: Hire leaders that are have experience in a public company and not the home… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Generac Power Systems.

Worked for Generac Power Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Generac Power Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld. All reviews posted anonymously by Generac Power Systems employees.