GPS

I worked at Generac Power Systems

Pros

Great opportunity to get into the power generation industry if that is what interests you. The company really is world-class in terms of leading the industry. The benefits package is very fair. The new CEO is younger and could potentially change some of the company's old ways.

Cons

The company is very "old boys club". Most of the upper managers have worked their way up in the company since it's early days (the company is only 50 years old) It is hard for young people to gain respect of managers, coworkers and company "lifers". The company is/was very very very antiquated in terms of work/life balance.
At the time I left, there was no "flex-time". Meaning as a salaried employee you had to work until 5 every day no matter what or take vacation time. You couldn't for example, work 7-4:30 on a day if you had to make it to the kids' soccer games by 5.

Advice to Management

Management certainly needs to respect and value education. They also should rapidly modernize the culture if they want to retain employees for the long term.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place to start and build a resume

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start out at. You can build your resume up and go somewhere else. The high turnover allows for easy mobility.

Cons

Salary is about 30% lower than industry average. It is a revolving door here, people leave all the time. They do not retain good, talented employees.... Instead of paying them what they are worth, they let them walk. Most people come here for 2 years and then go to Cummins, Kohler, or CAT. Basically Generac trains employees for their competitors....

Advice to Management

start investing in employees. Retain and build up good talented people that can take the company to the next level and help the company grow and expand. Pay people what they are worth. It is worth it in the long run.

2. Great opportunities to set your own career path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generac has experienced tremendous growth in the past 5 years, having tripled in sized and made 7 acquisitions. It's really exciting to be a part of Generac during this time of change where our industries and product line keep growing and diversifying! I have witnessed countless opportunities of people being promoted within the organization - I have seen people go from HR to marketing to sales, back to marketing, etc. I have seen several people start in an Inside Sales role, and move into a Retail Account Manager role, then move into a Product Manager role, then go to a marketing analytics position -- with the growth of the company, there really are endless opportunities to grow within and set your own career path, something that I really value for my own professional development and want for others, as well.

Cons

Obviously with the rapid growth we've experienced, there are some growing pains as we are still trying to catch up to our growth, we are understaffed in some areas and a lot of people wear many hats, which can be draining at times. With the initiative of moving towards being an engine powered tool company vs just back up power, there have been some ups-and-downs with sales as we work towards becoming more competitive in the market with a diverse portfolio, but I find it exciting and challenging vs something seen as a negative

Advice to Management

Sometimes executive management can have their hands in all areas that it feels like certain initiatives are being slowed down, so I would encourage them to give their teams the feeling of having more autonomy. However, I also do appreciate the visibility and access to senior management and opportunity to work closely with them