There are newer employer reviews for General Atomics

Poorly managed, saved by booming industry.

Current Employee - UAV Operator  in  Palmdale, CA
Current Employee - UAV Operator in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great benefits and job stability.
- One of the best career opportunities in the Inland Empire, performing in an industry to be proud of.
- Plenty of opportunities to obtain sought after security clearances, and experience to propel your resume in defense contracting services, which all pay great without daunting and expensive educational requirements.
- Optimistic outlook on the products produced by the company.
- Attractive pay incentives, with fair travel policies, including per-diem in comfortable hotels, comfortable rental cars and an outstanding travel support team.
- OJT by industry experts.
- Great accommodation for current and retiring military, and supportive to serving National Guard and Reserve troops.
- Christmas bonuses and a pension plan, which are increasingly rare, and a nice gesture.

Cons

- Management. The company grew too fast after 9/11, and most leaders in place now are the products of tenure-based advancement, rather than raw qualification. The lack of maturity from some supervisors shows in their poor decision making abilities and the behavior of subordinates. It is no secret that this is the number one issue to an otherwise flawless company.
- The High Desert facilities are overlooked in amenities. The facilities host highly qualified and educated workers, including engineers, technicians, pilots; the breadwinners of the company who deploy to support customers. However, these workers must commute a long distance to work in a heavily crime ridden area, also one of the Meth capitols of the United States, to facilities that don't have a proper cafeteria or break area, and reside 20+ miles from civilization.
- As a deployer, I have spent 41 months in a war zone for this company in the last 4 years, non-negotiable at the risk of losing my job. It is probably time to acknowledge that we are human beings also, and not human-ATM machines to be abused by absurd work details.
- It would help if Senior Management spent less time pampering our staff in San-Diego and payed a little more attention to the rest of the company in the High Desert.

I understand that weeding out tenured management looks bad, and is bad for business. However, to address the problem of poor leadership, we should start evaluating their successor's qualifications in order to begin healing this abrasive trend. Morale and retention would improve, and I believe a better output of labor would result.

80 Other Employee Reviews for General Atomics (View Most Recent)

It's a paycheck

Current Employee - Program Manager III  in  Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager III in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big government budgets so good stability. 9/80 work week.

Cons

Almost all management are retired military officers. They still wear their rank at General Atomics. Some even prefer to be called by the Active duty pay grade they held. They still wear their leather flight jackets in and call each other by their call signs. If you are a retiring aviator, join the club and you will fit right in. If not, shut up and color'

Keep on counting your money.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room for growth - lots of opportunities; Benefits are great

Cons

Negotiate for higher pay with offer or you're locked in; cafeteria food isn't all that great for the price. Since remodel, food and service have gone downhill

Communication and training of employees to be consistent across all divisions

There are newer employer reviews for General Atomics

Worked for General Atomics? Contribute to the Community!