General Atomics

www.ga.com
  www.ga.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Atomics

Cool People to work with.

Current Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative, thoughtful people who are easy to work with. Cool new projects that are cutting edge.

Cons

Average Pay. Upper management leaves a lot to be desired.

More rewards for long time employees.

83 Other Employee Reviews for General Atomics (View Most Recent)

Overrated and horribly run

Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can be interesting work, some good people to work with.

Cons

Training mediocre; no opportunity to advance; low pay compared to other outfits; awful deployment conditions, with lower pay than most considering the effort and risk involved; management at the avionics technician level holds grudges , leadership is by intimidation, with a revolving door of technicians.

I do not have any as I do not believe the culture can be changed, it will always be a revolving door, people using this place as a way to obtain clearances and then move on. The owner CEO could not care less about the rank and file.

Poorly managed, saved by booming industry.

Current Employee - UAV Operator in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - UAV Operator in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits and job stability.
    - One of the best career opportunities in the Inland Empire, performing in an industry to be proud of.
    - Plenty of opportunities to obtain sought after security clearances, and experience to propel your resume in defense contracting services, which all pay great without daunting and expensive educational requirements.
    - Optimistic outlook on the products produced by the company.
    - Attractive pay incentives, with fair travel policies, including per-diem in comfortable hotels, comfortable rental cars and an outstanding travel support team.
    - OJT by industry experts.
    - Great accommodation for current and retiring military, and supportive to serving National Guard and Reserve troops.
    - Christmas bonuses and a pension plan, which are increasingly rare, and a nice gesture.

Cons

- Management. The company grew too fast after 9/11, and most leaders in place now are the products of tenure-based advancement, rather than raw qualification. The lack of maturity from some supervisors shows in their poor decision making abilities and the behavior of subordinates. It is no secret that this is the number one issue to an otherwise flawless company.
    - The High Desert facilities are overlooked in amenities. The facilities host highly qualified and educated workers, including engineers, technicians, pilots; the breadwinners of the company who deploy to support customers. However, these workers must commute a long distance to work in a heavily crime ridden area, also one of the Meth capitols of the United States, to facilities that don't have a proper cafeteria or break area, and reside 20+ miles from civilization.
    - As a deployer, I have spent 41 months in a war zone for this company in the last 4 years, non-negotiable at the risk of losing my job. It is probably time to acknowledge that we are human beings also, and not human-ATM machines to be abused by absurd work details.
    - It would help if Senior Management spent less time pampering our staff in San-Diego and payed a little more attention to the rest of the company in the High Desert.

I understand that weeding out tenured management looks bad, and is bad for business. However, to address the problem of poor leadership, we should start evaluating their successor's qualifications in order to begin healing this abrasive trend. Morale and retention would improve, and I believe a better output of labor would result.

There are newer employer reviews for General Atomics