Seniority is king

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits (medical and dental insurance, pension, 401K) with above average vacation time and stable job security. Campuses are very well kept and a great location in San Diego.

Cons

No real incentive to better yourself. If you do the minimum required work you will be treated the same as those that go above and beyond. Compensation is very seniority based with arbitrary performance review cycles. I would not recommend this to anyone with career ambition.

Advice to Management

Reward those that work hard and deliver. Quality and quantity of work should be the main compensation driver, not how long you have been with the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If you need a job! But don't expect much...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive and you can qualify for an annual bonus. The technology is very interesting and you get to work with a lot military personnel, who are always appreciative of your hard work. Small tuition reimbursement and you have the ability to take computer training courses.

Cons

Pour management and way to many "Chiefs". No career paths or set expectations for most employees. Don't expect to advance if you are younger. I've been told more then once that because I am young and have more potential, I should not expect to be promoted ahead of more senior co-workers. Leadership is seriously lacking and most are more then willing to throw you under the bus to get ahead. The culture is also unpleasant, there is no "team" mentality. Most departments would rather fight against each other than work together.

Advice to Management

Change up management & supervision especially in the high desert. Setup some type of career planning or advancement coaching for employees. Improve communication from the top down to minimize gossip and rumors.

2. Wonderful

Current Employee - Administrative in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company, Nice people, Great Pay and Benefits

Cons

I cant really say that I have any cons to say about this employer except at the time when I made the decision to leave voluntarily due to personal/ family reasons, when asking HR for a leave of absence they did not have any stress related reason that I was eligible for. It was upsetting because I did not want to leave General Atomic s because I knew my situation at that time would only be temporary.