General Cable

www.generalcable.com
  www.generalcable.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Cable

Not part of the "IN" crowd

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable

Pros

-Intelligent, hardworking coworkers who are always willing to assist others
-Opportunities for training, both internally and externally
-Cafeteria onsite with fairly inexpensive, good quality food

Cons

-Excessive politics
-Lack of opportunity for advancement in many career paths
-Employees' best interests are always secondary to that of shareholders

Many managers need improved training on how to adequately manage people. Advanced degrees do not equate with having good communication skills.

49 Other Employee Reviews for General Cable (View Most Recent)

It's a job.

Current Employee - Financial Systems Manager in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Current Employee - Financial Systems Manager in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Base salary level was decent, but rest of compensation package was inferior. Most of my fellow employees were very nice, and I miss them.

Cons

I took the job with General Cable while employed for a very decent large company, due to the salary differential. It was a poor decision on my part..I should have stayed with the other employer. While the base salary was a lot better at General Cable, the bonus and benefits at the larger company made up for the difference.

My manager was very critical and was keeping a list of every possible shortcoming or mistake that I made. Some were trivial and it was asinine to even mention them. For instance, I was off by .06 cents on an expense report due to poor printing on a restaurant's receipt.

His goals were way too ambitious and he ignored my counsel on realistic timetables. I believe this was his interpretation of the Lean concepts of the company...set unrealistic goals and force the worker to meet them, or else.

He also didn't have the spine to say no to internal customers, or to manage expectations effectively. Part of the issues stemmed from a lack of centralized direction and control. Subsidiariies were guiding management rather than management guiding the subsidiaries. Basically, the tail was wagging the dog, and it is hard to plan activities when this is the case.

Also, I knew I was being paid much better than my peers, and that created some strain.

I was released for failing to meet management's expectations. In reality, I was waiting for the economy to get better so that I could find another job more easily. Unfortunately I waited too long and they let me go. I imagine my salary was an attractive one to eliminate.

I would encourage potential employees to examine the health package and other benefits carefully before accepting a position, and decide whether any increase in base pay is worth the pressure that will be placed on you. You may be trading short term gains for long term benefits.

Provide rudimentary training to managers who are dealing with people. Monitor their performance. Gauge whether they are capable of dealing with employees. Work on centralized control of the company.

A hard working job that payed well but you earned your paycheck

Former Employee - General Assembler in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - General Assembler in Altoona, PA

I worked at General Cable

Pros

you had great benefits and you also made a good pay for this region

Cons

your body took the abuse from the highly repeditive movement. Even though it was a unionized job you still could easily loose your job by making mistakes.

Ease up on your workers stop trying to cut pay by brining in new machines so they have to work harder just to get back what they used to make after you do your "time studies"

There are newer employer reviews for General Cable