There are newer employer reviews for General Cable

It's a job.

Current Employee - Financial Systems Manager in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
Current Employee - Financial Systems Manager in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Base salary level was decent, but rest of compensation package was inferior. Most of my fellow employees were very nice, and I miss them.

Cons

I took the job with General Cable while employed for a very decent large company, due to the salary differential. It was a poor decision on my part..I should have stayed with the other employer. While the base salary was a lot better at General Cable, the bonus and benefits at the larger company made up for the difference.

My manager was very critical and was keeping a list of every possible shortcoming or mistake that I made. Some were trivial and it was asinine to even mention them. For instance, I was off by .06 cents on an expense report due to poor printing on a restaurant's receipt.

His goals were way too ambitious and he ignored my counsel on realistic timetables. I believe this was his interpretation of the Lean concepts of the company...set unrealistic goals and force the worker to meet them, or else.

He also didn't have the spine to say no to internal customers, or to manage expectations effectively. Part of the issues stemmed from a lack of centralized direction and control. Subsidiariies were guiding management rather than management guiding the subsidiaries. Basically, the tail was wagging the dog, and it is hard to plan activities when this is the case.

Also, I knew I was being paid much better than my peers, and that created some strain.

I was released for failing to meet management's expectations. In reality, I was waiting for the economy to get better so that I could find another job more easily. Unfortunately I waited too long and they let me go. I imagine my salary was an attractive one to eliminate.

I would encourage potential employees to examine the health package and other benefits carefully before accepting a position, and decide whether any increase in base pay is worth the pressure that will be placed on you. You may be trading short term gains for long term benefits.

Provide rudimentary training to managers who are dealing with people. Monitor their performance. Gauge whether they are capable of dealing with employees. Work on centralized control of the company.

reviews filtered by
  1. A hard working job that payed well but you earned your paycheck

Former Employee - General Assembler in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - General Assembler in Altoona, PA

I worked at General Cable

Pros

you had great benefits and you also made a good pay for this region

Cons

your body took the abuse from the highly repeditive movement. Even though it was a unionized job you still could easily loose your job by making mistakes.

Ease up on your workers stop trying to cut pay by brining in new machines so they have to work harder just to get back what they used to make after you do your "time studies"

Those that prosper either become the darlings of Sr Management or hide and just put in their time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Du Quoin, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Du Quoin, IL

I worked at General Cable

Pros

My facility had some great people who were willing to work to improve conditions and solve problems. Company is VERY Safety conscious and is willing to invest money to get results.

Cons

You had better be producing results every week or else you are disengaged (unless you have a Sr level protector to keep you off the radar)

Letting a Plant Manager run his kingdom is the root of many problems.

There are newer employer reviews for General Cable