General Cable

www.generalcable.com

It's a job.

Financial Systems Manager (Current Employee) Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

ProsBase salary level was decent, but rest of compensation package was inferior. Most of my fellow employees were very nice, and I miss them.

ConsI took the job with General Cable while employed for a very decent large company, due to the salary differential. It was a poor decision on my part..I should have stayed with the other employer. While the base salary was a lot better at General Cable, the bonus and benefits at the larger company made up for the difference.

My manager was very critical and was keeping a list of every possible shortcoming or mistake that I made. Some were trivial and it was asinine to even mention them. For instance, I was off by .06 cents on an expense report due to poor printing on a restaurant's receipt.

His goals were way too ambitious and he ignored my counsel on realistic timetables. I believe this was his interpretation of the Lean concepts of the company...set unrealistic goals and force the worker to meet them, or else.

He also didn't have the spine to say no to internal customers, or to manage expectations effectively. Part of the issues stemmed from a lack of centralized direction and control. Subsidiariies were guiding management rather than management guiding the subsidiaries. Basically, the tail was wagging the dog, and it is hard to plan activities when this is the case.

Also, I knew I was being paid much better than my peers, and that created some strain.

I was released for failing to meet management's expectations. In reality, I was waiting for the economy to get better so that I could find another job more easily. Unfortunately I waited too long and they let me go. I imagine my salary was an attractive one to eliminate.

I would encourage potential employees to examine the health package and other benefits carefully before accepting a position, and decide whether any increase in base pay is worth the pressure that will be placed on you. You may be trading short term gains for long term benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide rudimentary training to managers who are dealing with people. Monitor their performance. Gauge whether they are capable of dealing with employees. Work on centralized control of the company.

A hard working job that payed well but you earned your paycheck

General Assembler (Former Employee) Altoona, PA

I worked at General Cable

Pros: you had great benefits and you also made a good… Cons: your body took the abuse from the highly repeditive movement. Even though it… Advice to Senior Management: Ease up on your workers stop trying to cut pay by brining in new machines so they have… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Those that prosper either become the darlings of Sr Management or hide and just put in their time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Du Quoin, IL

I worked at General Cable

Pros: My facility had some great people who were willing to work to improve conditions and solve… Cons: You had better be producing results every week or else you are disengaged… Advice to Senior Management: Letting a Plant Manager run his kingdom is the root… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on General Cable.

Worked for General Cable? Contribute to the Community!