General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

www.gd-ais.com
  www.gd-ais.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

Excellent Company and management of personal growth

Current Employee - Senior Information Security Engineer  in  Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Senior Information Security Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good involvement with corporate culture and personal growth. If you our at a major site you will get great support.

Cons

Tend to wear out staff with feast or famine jobs. Very cyclical in nature.

NA

161 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems (View Most Recent)

Former GD-AIS Employee review.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's very structure and your role is very well designed. If you are not a manager you can manage a 40 hour work week.

Cons

It's a bureaucratic culture will bog you down. The number of meetings I had on a weekly basis were ridiculous. I was a manager and I spent at least 30% of my time in meetings and most were not productive. GD-AIS has a policy that all stake-holders have to be in management meetings, including engineering, program management, legal, contracts, and finance. The problem with this is that everyone feels that they have to give an opinion on everything. Listening to contracts give their opinion on the financial performance or finance giving their opinon on the engineering solutions was a huge waste of time in the meetings.

Low morale from continuous cuts

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* Flexible Work Schedule
    * Engineering staff is extremely capable and you will have the opportunity to work with some very intelligent people
    * Free coffee
    * Opportunity to work on projects that have the ability to positively impact our troops

Cons

* Very difficult to be promoted or advance
    * Very small or no raises along with heavily declining benefits; has resulted in very low morale amongst employees
    * Way too much non-technical management oversight - each engineer has 5+ lead/management type people overseeing progress but offering zero technical assistance or guidance
    * COTS concept is taken to the extreme. Management equates COTS to needing to pay another company to do the engineering, rather than simply using open standards and protocols in our own designs.

Create engineering teams that are small and agile and get rid of the multiple layers of management who are all performing the same task, i.e. "monitoring" a projects progress.

Worked for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems? Contribute to the Community!