General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
www.gd-ais.com Falls Church, VA 5000+ Employees

An ok place to work.....

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsI see a lot of engineers' reviews on here, so here's one from a different perspective (finance). General Dynamics is a good place to start your career if you're young or a recent college graduate. It is a Fortune 500 company with ok benefits during a time when many other companies are reducing theirs or cutting them altogether.

ConsCompensation. Period. If you're not an engineer, you will definitely come in at a below-market salary. The company changed it's promotion structure to make it harder for young employees to get their money. We've already begun losing young promising talent, and this will only continue to happen.

Dead Weight. There's a lot of it. And overpaid, too. It can be found in all functions (Program Management, Contracts, Subcontracts, Finance, Billings, etc.). This has a life-sucking effect on morale, which has continued to steadily drop.

Also, even though we are "salaried" employees, the company expects us to work a certain amount of uncompensated overtime (which is tracked) every year. This is factored into promotions, raises, etc. The result is employees having to play a game just to advance their careers. Management doesn't care that some people just take a lot longer to do the same job as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the dead weight and pay the young guys. And, for heaven's sake, fix the promotion system and salary structure. Pay attention to the supporting functions! Just because we're not engineers doesn't mean we aren't important.

Work was great, while it existed

Former Engineer (Former Employee)
    McLeansville, NC

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros: -Very nice people -Branch engineering management was great and knowledgeable -Hours were… Cons: -If federal defense spending is down, work can and does dry… Advice to Senior Management: -Branch Management: Keep doing as best you can with what you have to work with -Corporate Management: Just because… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to work

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time

Pros: Great people and great technology; great programs Cons: Government contracting isn't great right now Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up; your communications to employees are great Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems.

Worked for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems CEO Thomas W. Kirchmaier. All reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems employees.