General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

www.gd-ais.com
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

An ok place to work.....

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time

Pros

I see a lot of engineers' reviews on here, so here's one from a different perspective (finance). General Dynamics is a good place to start your career if you're young or a recent college graduate. It is a Fortune 500 company with ok benefits during a time when many other companies are reducing theirs or cutting them altogether.

Cons

Compensation. Period. If you're not an engineer, you will definitely come in at a below-market salary. The company changed it's promotion structure to make it harder for young employees to get their money. We've already begun losing young promising talent, and this will only continue to happen.

Dead Weight. There's a lot of it. And overpaid, too. It can be found in all functions (Program Management, Contracts, Subcontracts, Finance, Billings, etc.). This has a life-sucking effect on morale, which has continued to steadily drop.

Also, even though we are "salaried" employees, the company expects us to work a certain amount of uncompensated overtime (which is tracked) every year. This is factored into promotions, raises, etc. The result is employees having to play a game just to advance their careers. Management doesn't care that some people just take a lot longer to do the same job as others.

Cut the dead weight and pay the young guys. And, for heaven's sake, fix the promotion system and salary structure. Pay attention to the supporting functions! Just because we're not engineers doesn't mean we aren't important.

179 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems (View Most Recent)

Work was great, while it existed

Former Employee - Former Engineer in McLeansville, NC
    Former Employee - Former Engineer in McLeansville, NC

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Very nice people
    -Branch engineering management was great and knowledgeable
    -Hours were nice and flexible to the employee's needs

Cons

-If federal defense spending is down, work can and does dry up
    -Benefits continue to be slashed
    -Raises unlikely for the next few years

-Branch Management: Keep doing as best you can with what you have to work with
    -Corporate Management: Just because it's becoming the industry norm to stop offering certain benefits options doesn't mean you need to follow that trend.

Great place to work

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time

Pros

Great people and great technology; great programs

Cons

Government contracting isn't great right now

Keep it up; your communications to employees are great