General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

www.gd-ais.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people working on contract

Cons

Benefit cuts and below market salary

186 Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems (View Most Recent)

Good people, interesting project, average company

Former Employee - Principal Engineer - Software in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer - Software in Arlington, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was able to work with very smart, team-minded people on an interesting project.
    Salary was competitive.
    Above average work was rewarded with out-of-term bonuses.

Cons

The company repeatedly cut benefits and leave in the interest of the greater good yet never returned them.
    The company had so many divisions that it was often hard to discern which benefits or policies applied to which groups.

An ok place to work.....

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time

Pros

I see a lot of engineers' reviews on here, so here's one from a different perspective (finance). General Dynamics is a good place to start your career if you're young or a recent college graduate. It is a Fortune 500 company with ok benefits during a time when many other companies are reducing theirs or cutting them altogether.

Cons

Compensation. Period. If you're not an engineer, you will definitely come in at a below-market salary. The company changed it's promotion structure to make it harder for young employees to get their money. We've already begun losing young promising talent, and this will only continue to happen.

Dead Weight. There's a lot of it. And overpaid, too. It can be found in all functions (Program Management, Contracts, Subcontracts, Finance, Billings, etc.). This has a life-sucking effect on morale, which has continued to steadily drop.

Also, even though we are "salaried" employees, the company expects us to work a certain amount of uncompensated overtime (which is tracked) every year. This is factored into promotions, raises, etc. The result is employees having to play a game just to advance their careers. Management doesn't care that some people just take a lot longer to do the same job as others.

Cut the dead weight and pay the young guys. And, for heaven's sake, fix the promotion system and salary structure. Pay attention to the supporting functions! Just because we're not engineers doesn't mean we aren't important.